HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I tried to replace my Honeywell thermostat with Nest and the…

Customer Question
I tried to replace...

I tried to replace my Honeywell thermostat with Nest and the Nest didn't turn on. So I replaced the previous honeywell thermostat and even that doesn't turn on

Contractor's Assistant: Just to clarify, do you think this is a larger HVAC problem, or something specific to the thermostat?

I don't know, my first floor and second floor units both were working with thermostats powered on

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Now both of them have no power, even though I put them back on

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

All I did was remove the existing thermostat and put nest, and since it didn't power up, I put the previous one back. But still no power

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: HVAC
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
12/2/2017
HVAC Technician: HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH replied 7 months ago
HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH

One moment please..Note it takes time to type and add links so please be patient. Also the site will send you a phone call offer, that is not me.

What likely happened is the low voltage fuse in the furnace or airhandler blew. There typically is a SLOT STYLE 3-5AMP FUSE on the board itself inside the furnace/airhandler like this.

CLICK HERE

If that is burned out all power to the thermostat will be lost. 95% of all units use some sort of SLOT FUSE or inline BUS STYLE FUSE to protect the low voltage circuit. You need to find that and change it out. If you just bump two wires together you could have just popped it without even knowing it. Now if for some reason your unit does not use a fuse often the board will be damaged due to the short. You would need to confirm you have 24 volts to the board inside the furnace/airhandler with a volt meter to make sure though.

Note if you have a condensate pump check the float and make sure the pump is not full of water...as that could cut low voltage power to the unit as well if the pump is not working and full of water.

All that I ask is please use the FINISH BY RATING link on your page to select a *****5 STAR rating***** before leaving.....otherwise I receive ZERO credit for assisting you. Also this does not close the question out and you can come back anytime for FREE right here to me......Happy Holidays!

How do I find the slot fuse?

Get to the board inside the furnace or airhandler.

Hi there,
I was just touching base with you because I have not heard back from you and the question is still open and unrated, I am not credited anything until a good star rating is supplied I would really appreciate it if you could do that thanks!