HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

Am trying to replace an ECM 2.3 motor that failed with an…

Customer Question
Am trying to replace...

Am trying to replace an ECM 2.3 motor that failed with an ECM 3.0 motor, which uses a different data communication format. Any idea how I can do it?

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

1 day

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes, but I can get help fro HVAC firm.

Contractor's Assistant: Are you an HVAC professional?

Not quite, but can call one I'm working with.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Unit is in a Carrier air handler -- about 10 years ole.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: HVAC
In Carrier air handler model number FE4ANB006. Claims it needs a 3/4HP motor. Failed ECM 2.3 motor was 1/2 HP.
Controlled via a Honeywell TZ-4 TotalZone zone control panel. 2 zones.
New motor is working (i.e., running), but does not turn off when fan control on thermostats is on auto and system is off. New motor is model #58MV660002. Old motor was HD44AE133.
Have since learned from motor manufacturer (Genteq) that ECM 3.0 cannot replace an ECM 2.3 motor using the control board I now have in the air handler. But am willing to buy another control board --- just need to know best solution -- motor-control combination that will work.
Answered in 5 days by:
12/7/2017
HVAC Technician: Regan Land, HVAC Technician replied 7 months ago
Regan Land
Regan Land, HVAC Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you with your question. I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question if you still need help. Can you please let me know if you still need help with your question?

I requested refund because I didn't hear from anyone. Before committing again I'd like to know if you understand how ECM motors are controlled and the difference between ECM 2.3 and 3.0. Do you? Do you know how to program an ECM 3.0?

I am very familiar with the ECM 2.3 and 3.0, but have not ever replaced a 2.3 with a 3.0. All ECMs are factory programmed and don't require programming in the field. Why did you decide to put the 3.0 in?

1/2 hp ECM 2.3 was inside unit & went bad. Carrier specified a 3/4 hp ECM 3.0, based upon part number & 3/4 hp printed on air handler. Go figure! Have ordered a (used) supposedly compatible (digital) control board. Board inside unit was not compatible with ECM 3.0 motor.

Right, the motors are very specific to each unit. Carrier had several modules for a single 2.3 motor - The specs of the unit (static pressure vs. cfm) would determine which module would go on the motor. Speaking of modules - that may have been the only problem with your 2.3. What was the original symptom?

I'm talking about control board in air handler; not the one on the motor itself. 2.3 motor shook, but never started. I checked the resistance of windings in the motor---all Ok & within 10 percent.

Right, I understood you meant the air handler board - I wouldn't recommend replacing that with one that fits a 3.0 as it could have undesirable results. The module (the black part that the wires connect to) on the 2.3 motor is likely bad, so you should just be able to replace that instead of the entire motor. Then you can use the OEM motor and control board.

That was my first thought, except that I always thought the air handler was under-powered for our ductwork and the cost of the ECM 2.3 motor control module alone was very close to the price of the complete motor, so I really wanted to go with a 3/4 hp unit. Plus, I bought the ECM 3.0 motor (without realizing the analog 2.3 to serial digital control 3.0 incompatibility) based upon Carrier's and my (lousy) HVAC contractor's recommendation by part number. As a complaint, the 2.3 motor was out of its 10-year warranty by two or three months and the HVAC firm would only let me buy a new motor at their cost, which was much higher than what I paid!

Modules typically cost an HVAC contractor less that $200. The full 2.3 motor can be much, much more. You can definitely try the 3/4HP 3.0, but it would be good to have an amp clamp to make sure it isn't over amping. You may also need to set the pins/dip switches on the new board to set CFM. Do you have AC connected as well? If so, is the outdoor unit a 5-ton?

Would have bought a new motor control module for $200, but never found one for sale even close to that amount. The heat pump/AC unit is a Carrier geothermal unit --- 4 tons.
Am out of town now & won't be at the site of the installation until early next week, at which time I'll have the new control board in hand and could send you pictures. Perhaps I could contact you for assistance at that time --- and you could guide me through the installation/amp check/etc. Would that be OK? If so, will pay then --- phone call or chat?

Yes, that will be fine. Just reply here and we can pick up. We can initiate phone call at that time if needed.