HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

My furnace, s/n 5897K 07108 is not working. The technician…

Customer Question
My furnace, s/n 5897K...

My furnace, s/n 5897K 07108 is not working. The technician says it is a broken heat limit switch and that the switch cannot be repaired or replaced and that I need a new furnace . Is that correct??

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

The filter is new and the thermostat was checked. The switch cuts the power to the entire unit and the blower will not work in the on mode until the unit cools down (I think)

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Absolutely not.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I think that the limit switch is working but that there is a problem activating the blower. Maybe the switch does both or maybe there is a different sensor that activates the blower when the heat exchangers get hot enough.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: HVAC
12/1/2017
HVAC Technician: airheatman, HVAC Technician replied 7 months ago
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician

The limit switch should not tell motor when to come on unless it is a combination fan/limit like this.Do you have the model on the furnace?