HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have an older furnace and it is putting out a pot full of…

Customer Question
I have an older...

I have an older furnace and it is putting out a pot full of water from the drain valve daily. Why?

Contractor's Assistant: Did you check the furnace's filters?

Not me but my service provider I thought had done that but will ask. He changed a thermostat thinking that would help. Did not

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

No no no! I am basically a clueless homeowner but getting worried as to why this is happening and the guy hasn't any idea

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

It has 3 zones. Last year he replaced the pump on one of them. The heat has been working fine. The water overflow reservoir was replaced about 5 years ago and he said it was fine.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: HVAC
12/1/2017
HVAC Technician: Rick, HVAC Supervisor replied 7 months ago
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

The most common cause for this is a failed expansion tank.

If the pressure relief valve leaks (gauge pressure above 30 psi) when the system temp is rising (the burner is running) then you have an expansion problem and probably have a faulty expansion tank. When the water in the system heats up it expands. With no viable expansion tank the system pressure rises and the relief valve pops. If the pressure rises when the boiler temp not is rising (burner is off) then you may have a faulty feed valve. The feed valve regulates water pressure into the system. In you case I'd hve the expansion tank checked out first.

I replaced that tank about 5 years ago. And that pressure gauge is what was replaced recently
I am at work now so can’t address this any further.... not Home until late evening

The same possibilities and potential culprits still apply. There is at least one more possibility but it's not likely given the relatively small amount of water being discharged. You can come back here tomorrow morning with more questions. I'm online ~9 am ET.

I am working tomorrow as well.

Well come back when you can. I'm online same time every day.

Ok thanks

You're welcome