HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have a Good man GKS90 about 8 years old. I replaced a bad…

Customer Question
I have a Good man...
I have a Good man GKS90 about 8 years old. I replaced a bad main control board (no power) Now I have power, solid red light/no error code.My blower just won't turn on, no heat. When I turn it on, I can hear a click/buzz but nothing else. Blower cage turns freely and it's getting power. I also replaced the blower capacitor. Same symptoms. Bypassing the thermostat doesn't help.
What next?
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: HVAC
11/30/2017
HVAC Technician: airheatman, HVAC Technician replied 4 months ago
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician

Does control board have HEAT COOL and UNUSED terminals where motor wires connect?

No AC, so there are two connected wires then a jumper wire. Motor is getting power....I'll double check when I get home.

If the board is sending power to motor white to neutral and either black, blue orange or red to the jumpered heat/cool terminal on board, issue has to be a bad capacitor or bad motor.

If cap checks good (new does not mean good these days) then motor is bad.

That's the conclusion I already came to. Capacitor is new. Power is going to blower,but I just get a click/buzz.
Blower turns freely. No error codes on board.

Double check wiring and voltage and dif all is good replace motor If you have further questions, please let me know.
Thanks for letting me work with you.If my answer has been polite, professional,and thorough, please click one of the ratings before you go. If you still need help let me know!.Expert is not paid for assisting you until you rate answer.Feel free to follow up for 30 days at no additional cost. Bonus always appreciated if you feel justified.
To rate answer, please select one of the stars on the page.

I pretty much concluded it was the blower motor already. Are you going to walk me through replacing that? My furnace isn't fixed...yet.

Sure I will be happy to. I am going to send you a gen***** *****nk that will give you a good idea of exactly how to do.

Also let me know if you need help locating the motor online.

If so give me complete model number on furnace.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUTvbr1kmDk

The video is generic so not exactly like your furnace but will give a very good idea of replacement procedure.

Ok...i found it unlikely my motor was bad,despite your advice, So I direct wired the blue/heat wire to the door switch and the fan kicked right on. So you were wrong AND you almost cost me an epensive part and lots of labor for no reason.Any ideas before I rate you? Control board is new, no error code. The capacitor and the blower motor are GOOD. I STILL have no fan.

If you got fan to run by connecting the blue wire, but not with blue connected the the board you DO NOT have 120v coming out of board between neutral and heat terminal; as you say. You told me motor is getting power.If it runs with power from door switch it would run with power from board.Take a picture of the fan wires where they are connected to board.Undoubtly you have something wired incorrectly or you are not reading voltage at correct terminals.

It is a very simple fact that if motor runs with 120v from door switch it has no choice but to run with 120v from board.

You can attach a picture using the "add file" button

New board. It was wired exactly like the old board. Blower motor isn't bad, control board isn't bad. Anything else?

Can you attach a photo of current wiring and show me where you are testing for 120v to motor?

What I am saying is if the board is sending power to the motor as you say, then that is absolutely no difference in the door switch sending power to motor.

Well...the blower motor and capacitor is DEFINITELY operational if I can get it to run independent of the board. As far as I'm concerned that's the only definite I have. Are you now suggesting I have a bad relay or something on the new board. You said blower motor, and it's now something I wired wrong, which didn't happen. No other options you can think of?

I am saying the fan has no idea where it is getting power.It runs if it has power and is good.It does not run if it is not getting power.

There is no way motor can run with power from one source but not from another source.

Since you have made motor run by directly connecting to power we know motor is good,

The only thing that would keep a good motor with a good capacitor from running is that it is NOT getting power from the board.

Just because board is new does not mean it is good.

Why are you being defensive and not wanting to send a picture showing me where you are testing for power?

I am not here to argue with you but to help you.

But to say motor is getting power from board but does not work but motor is getting power from door switch does not make sense. I can request a refund of your deposit if you would like rather than keep going back and forth here. Just let me know.

I told you I tested for power. I don't have to PROVE it to you with a picture. You'll have to take my word for it, like I have to take YOUR word even though you would have cost me 150$ and a hour of my labor if I had.Taking a picture while I hold a flashlight two test leads on isn't easy to do. If that's all you have, then yes I'd like a refund.
Never mind. I'm calling in s professional to troubleshoot the old fashioned way.
airheatman
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician