HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

It is cold outside and inside my home. I pressed the run…

Customer Question
It is cold outside...

It is cold outside and inside my home. I pressed the run button, then turned the thermostat up to about 83 or 84 because before it would not turn on unless I got to that number. I hear it cut on, but then a few minutes later it cuts off and won't turn back on unless I first press run.

Contractor's Assistant: Just to clarify, do you think this is a larger HVAC problem, or something specific to the thermostat?

I don't know. When the guy helped with the furnace before, a lot of the problem was caused because we did not know to change the filters every three months. I thought the filter was dirty so I changed it, but it didn't have a lot of stuff on it like the others because it was before 3 months were up.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If it is something relatively simple yes, otherwise I will need to clean the basement and call homewarranty to send someone out.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I don't think so. Our gas bill during the winter and summer was kind of high and they said that we were using more gas than our neighbors which had me thinking that it was something to do with turning the dial up so high to get the heat to kick on and warm the house. I still need to put plastic up on the windows but that shouldn't make the furnace turn off right away.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: HVAC
11/30/2017
HVAC Technician: Rick, HVAC Supervisor replied 9 months ago
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

Pressing the RUN button just tell the thermosta to run the programed schedule. It does not specific to start the furnace. Your description indicates a furnace issue. Probably not a simple fix based on your description. Since you have a warranty I'd suggest you call them for service.