HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

Have a Beckett Oil Burner and we currently have no heat I…

Customer Question
Hi I am Pete...

Hi I am Pete We have a Beckett Oil Burner and we currently have no heat I thought we were low on oil so I just filled up today The green light is flashing

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

Yes the thermostat is on

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

It will sound like its turning on but there is no flame

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I have unplugged the outlet, I have hit the red reset button to get it out of lock out, yet no heat

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: HVAC
we are bleeding the lines as we speak
11/29/2017
HVAC Technician: Rick, HVAC Supervisor replied 9 months ago
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. First I’ll need some more info so I have a more complete picture of your situation.

How are you bleeding the lines? how many lines (1 or 2) connected to the burner? When was the last time the burner was tuned up?

One line. Not sure. There were no markings on the burner, we just bought the house in march

How are you bleeding the line? with the burner motor running? did you actually run out of oil?

The burner isn’t running and there is no flame. According to the gauge on the tank we were between a quarter tank and empty. It’s the first time in the new house we were that low so I wasn’t sure if the gauge was right on or not

The burner won't run if it has a newer ignition control and you hit the reset 2 or more times. If you didn't actually run out of oil bleeding the line won't do much. I can tell you how to get the control out of a hard lockout but if you were pumping fuel into the chamber before when it didn't fire up and it fires up this time it can get pretty scary. My best advise is to call a burner tech tommorrow and have him tune this up and check it out.

Ok we didn’t bleed the line yet. How do I know if I was pumping oil into it before?

No way to know for sure unless you smell oil in which case it's a sure thing. If you don't smell oil then the line may be clogged. Air in the line is unlikely unless you actually did run out of oil. If you want to take a chance on bleeding it (no guarantee it will fire up) I need the brand and model of the ignition control to tell you how to unlock it.

It’s a Beckett RC7184b
I mean r7184b

Ok, hold the button down for 30 seconds to unlock. You have to run the burner to bleed the line. If it does fire up and sounds like it's going to blow up and/or smpke out the house shut it down right away and call a pro. I would advise against you trying this but it's your decision.

Ok we have tried that before and nothing happened.

Not much more I can do for you from here. If you have a thermostat calling for heat and the boiler/furnace is cold then it should start up

Hmm I guess that’s it?

Nothing more I can do from here except to again suggest you call a pro.