HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have a Trane XV90 gas furnace and the blower motor won't…

Customer Question
I have a Trane...

I have a Trane XV90 gas furnace and the blower motor won't start. (Combustion starts fine and warms up unit until high limit switch starts acting). When the variable speed blower should come on, it moves repeatedly but never gets up to speed. Motor resistances check out fine (equal across 3 pin gaps) Is there a good way to confirm it's Board on Motor Cap Unit?

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat? And what about the pilot light?

Thermostat is acting properly. electronic ignition starts up and fires main burners properly.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Depends if I can find the parts or a technician first. (I'm an engineer who does a lot of electrical work so familiar with the hazards and tools)

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I'm really looking for a good way to check whether the control Board is working because then I'm looking for a motor cap unit. Or vice versa.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: HVAC
11/29/2017
HVAC Technician: airheatman, HVAC Technician replied 4 months ago
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician

Requires a special tool to determine which is issue.

https://www.grainger.com/product/6PFG9?cm_mmc=PPC:+Google+PLA&s_kwcid=AL!2966!3!166587674359!!!g!82128731277!&ef_id=WU3aTwAAAGzJNhJX:20171129223536:s&kwid=productads-adid^166587674359-device^c-plaid^82128731277-sku^6PFG9-adType^PLA

If less than 10 years old, should be under warranty and better to call dealer than to mess with.If out of warranty and you can obtain tester I can guide you.

Afraid that's not a useful answer as it checks the motor rather than the board

I will upload you a link to the troubleshooting guide. What the tester does is imitate the board.If the motor runs properly with the tester , that proves the board is the problem.If not that proves motor control on end of motor is the problem.

I've seen this manual before and agree it's great for testing motor/end cap with the special tool (but that tool isn't on site and wont be in time to get heat). So I was hoping to test board before picking up board AND end cap. No answers on testing board?

Unfortunately the board can not be tested using a standard multi meter.This is one of the disadvantages to these hi tech furnaces is that they require the special testers to troubleshoot.

It reminds me of a few years back I had planned a trip to attend a fiends wedding .I owned a Cadillac SLS which I literally loved. But on Friday morning before I was to leave , the water pump failed. I got it towed to a mechanic but then found out that there is a special water pump removal tool required on the Cadillac.See link below:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Wilmar-W89399-GM-Water-Pump-Remover-and-Installer-Socket/50836880?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=8746&adid=22222222227038397686&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=85411519370&wl4=aud-261800282100:pla-193418913410&wl5=9012943&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=115787002&wl11=online&wl12=50836880&wl13=&veh=sem

My mechanic called around and no auto parts in town had the tool and it was Monday before they could get one.

I was not a happy camper. I told my mechanic that is not good enough as I had to be in another town Saturday evening. He told me my only option would be to have the car towed to the Cadillac dealer and pay an astronomical fee for them to change the water pump.

I ended up waiting and missed the wedding.

In your situation, very similar scenario.You can order the tester and we can go from here testing as soon as you get it or you can call in an Emergency service call to Trane and they will charge you a pretty hefty price, but will come out and test and repair so you have heat sooner.

airheatman
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician