HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

We have a Vaillant ecoTec plus 418 combi boiler. At the

Customer Question
Hi there. We have...

Hi there. We have a Vaillant ecoTec plus 418 combi boiler. At the moment the hot water is working but the central heating isn't.

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

Sorry, not sure how I would do this

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes, if possible

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Not sure. Can I just ask how I would check the thermostat settings and check the filters?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: HVAC
11/29/2017
HVAC Technician: Andrew Smith, HVAC Technician replied 7 months ago
Andrew Smith
Andrew Smith, HVAC Technician
Do you have a wired or RD room thermostat?
RF
Sorry Andrew, what does RF stand for? I really know absolutely nothing about all of this
Hi again Andrew. Are you able to either email or talk me through this?
ThanksAlex
No problem.
Is it a wired thermostat or RF (radio frequency)
It's a wired thermostat
We could try at the boiler first to rule out the stat?
Follow the wire back to the boiler connection and link them out.
Attach a photo of the connection if you want to go through it
ok. Underneath the boiler there's a wire coming out which goes into a black box with what looks like two buttons on it. There's a different wire coming out the top of this which goes into the wall
Hi Andrew
I'm guessing you're not still there, will try again laterCheers
Alex
Are you sure it's not a wireless thermostat receiver?
I don't think so
We have a 'Honeywell ST9400C' programmer which is wired in and a thermostat on the wall nearby. This may be the problem but obviously I don't know.
Ok.
Can you follow the wiring inside the boiler and see how it is wired.
We may be able to wire around the fault to get the heating on