HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have a Honeywell HZ311 system. One zone is not heating and…

Customer Question
Hi. I have a...

Hi. I have a Honeywell HZ311 system. One zone is not heating and I’m having trouble diagnosing the problem.

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

Yes I double checked the settings. The filters are ready to be switched. It’s been more than 6 months.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Depends on how easy or difficult the fix is

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Can you tell me what the problem is?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: HVAC
11/29/2017
HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 7 months ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello, put all thermostats into heat mode and set them to 90F.... then use a multi meter to check for 24 volts to the zone damper on the zone thats working so you know what voltage reads you should get on a working zone.

Now check the non working zone damper wire connections, if those have the same voltage, the damper motor itself is bad or the damper is stuck mechanically.

If you do not have the same voltage on the non working zone then the zone controller is bad, or the thermostat for that zone is bad, Jumper R to W on the thermostat for that non working zone, if the damper now opens, the thermostat is bad'

If the damper does not open and there is no 24v to the non working zone, then the relay that controls damper, mounted on the HZ311 board is bad.

Let me know how all that goes.

.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.