HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have a white Rodgers heat only thermostat, mod.1e78-140.

Customer Question
I have a white...

I have a white Rodgers heat only thermostat, mod.1e78-140. it is not working, does it run on batt. or is the power wired from home.

Contractor's Assistant: Have you tried power cycling the appliance -- unplugging it and leaving it off for a few hours?

It is a natural gas furnace.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If possible.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

The furnace has gas, the pilot is lit, the thermostat has good batteries, but I get no power reading when checked with multimeter.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: HVAC
11/29/2017
HVAC Technician: airheatman, HVAC Technician replied 4 months ago
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician

How many wires connect at thermostat?

2 both run directly to furnace.

Looks like a two wire thermostat. You will not get a volt reading as this is only one hot leg (red wre) The white sends this hot leg back to unit.

Discoonect the red and white wire and twist them together and tell me if heat comes on.

no. the 2 wires at thermostat are blue and brown, neither is hot. they run from thermostat to furnace where they connect to a black wire and a red wire.

OK color s not important touch the brown and blue together and see if furnace comes on

no

Lets try a reset on thermostat.Reset Operation
Press Up and Down arrows at the same time while moving the
SYSTEM switch from OFF to HEAT

o k did that, left on heat... nothing.

Still no display?

There is one trick I have seen work to reset these digital thermostats that works sometimes. That is to remove batteries and install them backwards for 5 seconds, Then remove and install properly,If this does not reset the little computer board in the thermostat you will need to replace the thermostat.

I have a display, the furnace does not come on

OK let's move to furnace. Give me model on furnace so I can guide specific to the unit

the thermostat has and does display, the furnace will not come on.

cozy challenger mod. 90N50A

OK is pilot lit?

If pilot is not on,remove grae on floor furnace, Turn the control rod counterclockwise until the pointer is on “PILOT”. Locate the red piezo igniter button beside the control rod.Immediately begin a series of pushing and releasing the red piezo igniter while observing the pilot through the sight glass opening, continue to spark until pilot is lit or use the lighter rod with match. Continue to hold the control rod down for about one (1) minute after the pilot is lit. If it goes out, repeat steps 4 through 10.Once pilot stays on turn knob from pilot to ON.

the pilot is on, so is the burner, but not the heater.

I do not understand. The burner is the heater

turned the gas valve from pilot to on, does not come on.

PLease explain what you mean "

t"he pilot is on, so is the burner"

The burner is all there is, there is no fan or anything

after pilot is lit the valve is turned to on. I did that but the burner does not come on.

OK if pilot is lit but burner does not, you have a dirty or defective pilot generator or a bad gas valve.Next step is to check on gas alve using a millivolt meter to see if pilot generator is sending 750 millivolts to valve to tell it to open.Do you have a multi meter that will check millivolts?

no, I will buy one tomorrow.I have a pilot generator ordered that I am picking up at noon. so if the P.G. is bad I will have a new one to replace it with. If it still does not work... gas valve?

Leaving office for the evening myself. We can go from here tomorrow.Make sure limit is closed and if so yes valve would be next.My suspicion is the pilot generator though.We will go from here

o k thank you.

Talk to you tomorrow.Goodnight

I got the part installed it, still does not come on. The 2 wires for thermostat are hooked up to RH.& W, does that sou8nd right.
o k how do I check limits.
what are they?

Set meter to check continuity or just remove wires and touch them together to bypass for TEST ONLY

o k will do. It will be a couple of hours before I can get back to you. If you have not heard from me by 8:30 could you please go ahead and call me Thursday at 1:30, I will pay the extra fee. thank you.

Not sure I will be in office at that time.Just come to site and request phone call and if here I will call

o k

we will go from here

I checked the unit out with a multimeter and the power gen. only shows 501 millivolts with the gas on and the thermostat on. it is supposed to be 750 is it not.

That is correct .We should have 750 milliovolts to valve before it will open.Is that with new generator

Does pilot flame engulf the generator good?

That does not sound good.Maybe generator not enough.Does it say 7.5 on it? I know valve has to have 7.5 to open

double checked power gen. is right one for heater, tried bypassing limit switches, and still no heat and 520 millivolts.
heater is working fine thanks for the help.

Thanks for letting me work with you.If my answer has been polite, professional,and thorough, please click one of the ratings before you go. If you still need help let me know!.Expert is not paid for assisting you until you rate answer.Feel free to follow up for 30 days at no additional cost. Bonus always appreciated if you feel justified.
To rate answer, please select one of the stars on the page.

airheatman
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician