HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have the same problem as this post but I changed the fuse…

Customer Question
I have the same...

I have the same problem as this post but I changed the fuse and I'm having an electrical short on the board

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Since this morning

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Depenfs

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Depends

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: HVAC
11/28/2017
HVAC Technician: airheatman, HVAC Technician replied 4 months ago
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician

I can not see the post you are referring to.Give me some details

I changed out my thermostat and my account wouldn't come on afterwards. My dumbass didn't power of to the unit before doing this. I figured I had blown the transformer or atleast a fuse. I did replace a blown fuse on the board. When I powered the unit on I had Sparks and smoke coming from the board. I believe it was labeled MIV1. Is the board toast or could it be the transformer is damaged? How can I test it? I ohm tested the two leads coming from the transformer, blue and yellow wire to each other and had a short. Little to no voltage.

You probably fried board if it smoked. Tell me what wires went where on old and where you put them on new as well as model on the unit board is in

Only got one pic it does not provide furnace model. Also tell me Tell me what wires went where on old and where you put them on new

The only wires were to the thermostat and I tracked each wire individually to make sure they corresponded.

Tell me the color of wires and where they went and where you put them. I am trying to discern what may have created the short.For example a B terminal on old could be common where B on new is reversing valve and C is common.

Thanks I see it is a G40UH furnace .Tell me the color of wires and where they went and where you put them. I am trying to discern what may have created the short.For example a B terminal on old could be common where B on new is reversing valve and C is common.

White-White
Grn-Grn
Ylw-Ylw
Red-RC jumpered to RH

No C wire?

No C wire was connected previously at the thermostat nor at the board

If no C wire, you did not short anything while replacing thermostat.You can connect any two of those wires together without shorting anything.

The existing thermostat is Honeywell and I was trying to change it to a Pro1 model T905

Sounds like you had a bad board to start with. Was everything working up until you replaced thermostat or did you replace thermostat in hopes of it solving a problem?

No it was working fine. So why fix it??? I know.
Could the 120 to 24v transformer be shorted out or grounded out causing the problem.
Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer