HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

What is best type of ventilation for an attic above a

Customer Question
What is best type...

What is best type of ventilation for an attic above a insulated ceiling in shop 81" wide by 120' long? Can round ventilators do it?

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

New total steel building structure

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes and no depending on what is involved

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

We are located in southern alberta with quite cold winters and hot summers

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: HVAC
Answered in 1 day by:
11/30/2017
HVAC Technician: Machinc, General Contractor replied 8 months ago
Machinc
Machinc, General Contractor
There are several factors involved in calculating the proper ventilation for your attic .
More .....
The round gable vents placed on each end of the building may not be enough because of the size of the attic . More
If your roof has a continuous ridge vent and a vented soffit (overhang) this may be enough.
More......
With the size of your attic and the need to know what type of venting is already in place it would be best if you have a professional visit the site and evaluate what you need ......
You did not mention if you are building or if this is an existing structure with a problem.
If you are experiencing the shop being too warm in summer then you could have an insulation problem or a venting problem.
While ventilation is important in summer and winter the problem usually shows up in summer with the interior being hard to cool.
Any gable and roof vents would have to be protected from snow gaining access into the attic.
This along with other considerations, (size location) puts this job out of the scope of the inexperienced......
That said after having an inspection by a licensed professional contractor (you will have a better understanding of the situation and may find there could be a portion of the work you could do yourself. ...
Gable vents or fans are not too hard to install . You would need the kind that can be closed as needed to block rain and snow . Some are louvered in a manner to protect without any assistance.
All of this of course needs to be calculated as to the cubic footage or square footage they can best handle. The round ventilators you have in mind may be all you need but I would go with the opinion of a professional who can actually make an on site visit to calculate your needs.
Another factor is exposure to direct sun or if the building is in the shade.
The roof color and type is also a factor as to how hot the attic will be.