HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have a carrier 9200. The limit switch is popping. There…

Customer Question
I have a carrier...

I have a carrier 9200. The limit switch is popping. There was a very dirty filter in, but that it not in now. I have checked the air inlet for both the flame unit and the fan blower are working fine. I reset it earlier today, and it popped again. I have reset again and I am waiting to see what happens. Any idea on areas to check

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

The thermostat is fine and I actually removed the filter for testing. Have a new one coming. It is working currently, but I am suspicious the limit switch will blow again

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I have so far. I am pretty good with electrical and mechanical, so I would like to try

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

It flashes error code 33 when out, so it is leading in the direction that the system is not getting enough air to keep cool. So far, it has been working for about 30 minutes since reset with no issue. I feel air coming in the return vents as well as the air intake for combustion unit.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: HVAC
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/27/2017
HVAC Technician: BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech replied 8 months ago
BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech

My name is Billy. Is it a flame rollout switch near burner you are resetting?

Or the credit card sized flat plate behind gas valve (no reset on this)

It is the little flame roll out switch above window to see the flame. The unit appears to be installed upside down, so this switch may normally be on the bottom.
It is definitely manually resetting when I hit the button

The bad thing about the flame roll out (manual reset) is it is not really tied to exchanger temp but the fact the heat is going the wrong way....99% of the time this is a crack in the heat exchanger. When the main blower kicks on it blows air into the crack and stifles the flame backward.

One reset a year or 2 is an inconvenience....repeated reset is bad exchanger.

Unfortunately this particular unit is prone to exchanger failure starting around 10 years + old.

The flame roll out is there for when flame actually rolls backwards....this is the most important safety on the furnace to prevent carbon monoxide/fire.

Any other swith I would talk you through...this one - I would have the exchanger looked at

Billy

OK, thanks for your help

I am very sorry....we can work on this unit top to bottom as I had years experience with this model....but I must be upfront also when it comes to safety. Please do not keep resetting..or bypassing....this is a dangerous one to mess with

Billy

If all set please rate service ( not the bad news) to close question.

If you need more info use reply