HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

Recently installed Goodman 80,000 BTU 96% furnace. Has been…

Customer Question
Recently installed Goodman 80,000...

Recently installed Goodman 80,000 BTU 96% furnace. Has been working great. Wanted to direct air discharge in duct with an in line 8" damper. I installed damper and the furnace would not ignite. I then removed damper and reconnected duct as it previously was. Again, the furnace will not ignite. It tries to ignite, but seems to just trigger the fan to come on, The diagnostic LED lite is steady on indicating normal operation. Any suggestions?

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

Brand new filters Thermostat settings checked

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes I am building contractor for 35 years

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: HVAC
11/27/2017
HVAC Technician: HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH replied 7 months ago
HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH

One moment please..Note it takes time to type and add links so please be patient. Also the site will send you a phone call offer, that is not me.

IS the ignitor glowing?

ignitor glows, then gas briefly ignites, but quickly out

If it lights up then goes out right away then repeats this process you need to remove and clean the flame sensor rod off on the unit. The flame sensor rod is what detects the flame after lighting and tells the board to keep sending power to the gas valve to keep the flame going. Over time these get corroded and even go bad failing to send the correct Milliamp signal to the board. Normally a good cleaning with some sand paper will clean them right up and they will work fine again and in other instances they need to be replaced. The part is on the burner manifold and typically will only have 1 wire attached to it and will either be a straight metal rod with a porcelain base or a bent metal rod with a porcelain base. Get that out and clean it off then try it and see what happens. Here is an image of what you would be looking for to take out and clean off with sand paper.

CLICK HERE PIC

All I ask is please select the 5 STAR rating at the top of your page before leaving otherwise I receive ZERO credit for assisting you. BONUSES are always appreciated...Thanks and you can come back anytime for free followup questions & Happy Holidays!

the furnace is brand new, been working fine for about a week, then this problem Will try to clean ignitor but seems unlikely since it is brand new

Yes but you may just have a bad flame sensor.