HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have a three zone Honeywell system. Is there someone that…

Customer Question
I have a three...

I have a three zone Honeywell system. Is there someone that can help me troubleshoot?

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Since we moved in about six months ago.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Don’t know. Depending on what’s involved.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: HVAC
11/27/2017
HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 4 months ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello, tell me please what seems to be malfunctioning

,

Take a close up, exceedingly well focused photo of the wiring diagram glued inside the furnace/air handler door, amd the zone control panel with its cover removed that shows all of the thermostat wire connections....and I will mark those up with trouble shooting instructions. Use the 'add files' link next to your send button to get the photo(s) to me.

We can go from there with training, coaching and diagnosis.... without a time limit, In depth with as much detail as needed , after you rate this answer:

Select the 'finish and rate your expert link' near the top of your page and click on it.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

.

OPENING STATEMENTS

Important note about RATING my work:

I am a retired mechanical engineer and HVAC/electrical/ refrigeration and boiler contractor ... with 56 years in this business. The last 20 of those years consulting for major firms nationally.. and with over 8,000 questions answered here since 2009, with a 98.5% satisfaction rating.

.

All I ask is please respect me and my input by selecting the***RATING LINK***at the top of your page, that is the only way I am credited through the site. Rating does not affect your charges nor ability to refund if not satisfied.

.

If you need to be coached through a full diagnosis/repair,and wiring etc. for up to two days, and wish to be trained to use test instruments...... that goes well beyond' Just a simple Answer' of course, and goes beyond what most other experts here offer.....rate my answer so far positively.. . and I will deliver that training and coaching to you All on the same dime so to speak.

That said, I cannot guarantee that you will not do something unsafe, or cause damages. You take that risk.

.

Lacking a positive rating I can spend days helping a person at my own expense and loose my shirt, shorts and socks on the deal.

.

Phone call offers:

If you wish to accept the companies $25 phone call offer, if indeed they send you one, this will go a *lot faster, but it IS 100% optional... or we can continue here in this dialog box at no additional charge.

I moved in about six months ago and it hasn’t been functioning correctly. Looks like whom ever did the repairs last had no idea what they were doing. The dampers were not wired correctly. One of the dampers needed to have a common wire added because it was power close and open. I rewired it last night and it generally appears to be working. All the zones now open when called upon and stay closed otherwise. I do have two remaining issues:1. The zone max temp sensor was previously disconnected. What does it do? Do I need to replace it? Am I losing efficiency or anything without it?
2. There is a discharge damper on a vertical run that ties back to the intake side. It is worn out and hangs open all the time. Where do I find a 14” replacement? How do I get the right resistance on it when I purchase? Maybe I can tighten the old one?

Hello again, click here for zone max sensor function

1. It maintains zone temperatures to viable ranges if the wireless thermostat connections fail.

2. that 14" damper is a 'bypass damper' it is designed to open if too many zones close, it insures adequate air flow past the cooling coil and furnace in those instances.... it should be closed when at least 2 zones are open.... that damper can be controlled in various ways, I cannot tell from here if its wired to limit the static pressure in the supply air duct to 1" water column or by some other means... follow its wiring to the control that operated it, let me know what you find.

Regarding replacement. tell me if its damper motor works or not, and if the shaft between the damper and damper motor is attached or not, and the brand and model number on the damper motor. You can generally order this from http://www.shortyshvac.com

.Regarding 'resistance' thats not an applicable term in that application , it is the discharge static pressure that controls that damper.

click here please

.

for the temp sensor, is there any downside to not running one? There is only one and it’s on the box that the different zones split off from.For the bypass damper, it is passive (not electronic). I looked up some examples online. I think it’s actually just installed wrong. It has a counter weight that puts tension on the damper. It looks like it’s setup right now for a horizontal installation.

If your thermostats are not wireless, you do not need to connect the zone max sensor, if your thermostats are wireless and you do not connect the zone max sensor, then if the thermostat fails, the house will cool below your set point. One zone max is sufficient.

The counter weight is a mechanism that opens the damper if the discharge static pressure gets too high, generally in the 0.7 to 1" water column range... thats a good set up, the damper however should be closed when all zones are operating... if not adjust the weight on the zone damper arm until the damper closes.

If you do not do that, and the damper is always open you will not get sufficient air volume to the open zones when all 3 zones are calling for heat or cooling.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know. Lacking a rating I loose my shirt on these questions that go into over time. Please rate, we can go from there without a time limit.

Thanks

Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer