HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I think the damper motor may be bad, but, when I had it off…

Customer Question
I think the damper...

I think the damper motor may be bad, but, when I had it off the mounting, the motor turned. I put it back on, and it will not close. How do I trouble shoot to see if, indeed, the motor is bad?

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

About three years.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I would like to.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I just need to know if the motor needs replacing.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: HVAC
11/26/2017
HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 5 months ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello, with the motor removed from the damper assembly shaft see if you can turn the shaft easily by hand, if not, its stuck, usually due warping in the ductwork that its mounted in.

See if you can force the duct back into shape to free the damper.... that is step one, let me know how it goes.

.

We can go from there with training, coaching and diagnosis.... without a time limit, In depth with as much detail as needed , after you rate this answer:

Select the 'finish and rate your expert link' near the top of your page and click on it.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

.

OPENING STATEMENTS

Important note about RATING my work:

I am a retired mechanical engineer and HVAC/electrical/ refrigeration and boiler contractor ... with 56 years in this business. The last 20 of those years consulting for major firms nationally.. and with over 8,000 questions answered here since 2009, with a 98.5% satisfaction rating.

.

All I ask is please respect me and my input by selecting the***RATING LINK***at the top of your page, that is the only way I am credited through the site. Rating does not affect your charges nor ability to refund if not satisfied.

.

If you need to be coached through a full diagnosis/repair,and wiring etc. for up to two days, and wish to be trained to use test instruments...... that goes well beyond' Just a simple Answer' of course, and goes beyond what most other experts here offer.....rate my answer so far positively.. . and I will deliver that training and coaching to you All on the same dime so to speak.

That said, I cannot guarantee that you will not do something unsafe, or cause damages. You take that risk.

.

Lacking a positive rating I can spend days helping a person at my own expense and loose my shirt, shorts and socks on the deal.

.

Phone call offers:

If you wish to accept the companies $25 phone call offer, if indeed they send you one, this will go a *lot faster, but it IS 100% optional... or we can continue here in this dialog box at no additional charge.

Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer