HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

My oil tank is not venting properly. Just started recently.

Customer Question
My oil tank is...

My oil tank is not venting properly

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Just started recently.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Ya, I am a retired Stesmfitter

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

No, I don't know these boilers well, I was a dumb x-ray welder.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: HVAC
11/26/2017
HVAC Technician: Rick, HVAC Supervisor replied 7 months ago
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. First I’ll need some more info so I have a more complete picture of your situation.

The only time the tank not venitng properly is when it is being filled. Is that the issue?

The tank is not full all the way, I must periodically go down to the boiler and vent it by hand for it to run properly.

Assuming you mean bleed the line this has nothing to do with the tank vent. Do you start the burner to bleed it?

the oil was delivered last Thursday, and there is air in the oil as it is brought into the boiler. I bleed at the Boiler.
The only thing between boiler and the oil tank is the filter. Is the filter introducing the air to the oil?

You didn't answer my question. How are you bleeding the line? are you doing it with the burner motor running?

You run the burner until you have a steady stream, no bubbles?

How are the oil lines run in relation to the tank?

They are run on the floor from the bottom of the oil tanks to the filter.

1 line or 2?

I have 2, 250 tanks twined together between the thanks then one line comes to the filter.

So you have a single oil line run along the floor from the tank to the burner? When you bleed the lines again do you get air?

the boiler stops and I must bleed at the Boiler again.

When was the last time you replaced the filter? do you have flared or compression fittings on the oil line?

they are compression fittings, We replaced the filter 1 1/2 years ago.

Ok, your situation is unusual. We've used flared fittings for a long time because it was determined that compression fittings can suck in air even if they don't leak. Beyond that any speculation is a stretch. They way your oil lines are run it alomst never happens that air gets into the line once the air is bled out.