HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have a 5 year old Tempstar furnace and it's short cycling.

Customer Question
I have a 5 year...
I have a 5 year old Tempstar furnace and it's short cycling. Meaning the furnace fires, runs for a period of time with heat coming out, however shuts off before getting to the desired temperature. as soon as it cools downs and shuts off, the heat cycle begins again. does this until desired temp is reached.Checked obstructions in duct work- none
replaced hi heat limit switch- still operating same
checked to see if the flame rollout sensors tripped.. no they did not trip.Green light blinks 4 times when burners shut off. indicating limit circuit fault
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: HVAC
11/25/2017
HVAC Technician: HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH replied 4 months ago
HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH

One moment please..Note it takes time to type and add links so please be patient. Also the site will send you a phone call offer, that is not me.

thanks!

The resetable thermal rollout is tripping out this one....CLICK HERE do you see that one?

ok.. i'm not sure where to locate that one..i see the limit switch.. 2 flame rollouts.

OK the unit is tripping on an AUTO RESET limit. The ones with push button switches are not auto resetting it is the one with out a button.

Sending a couple of pics. Not sure where that one is on this unit

This one...CLICK HERE that is the one that is likely tripping off. Check the filters on the furnace as a restriction in the filter or blower issue could cause it to overheat.

All I ask is please select the 5 STAR rating at the top of your page before leaving otherwise I receive ZERO credit for assisting you. BONUSES are always appreciated...Thanks and you can come back anytime for free followup questions & Happy Holidays!

that is the one i replaced..

OK bypass it and see if it continues to run fine...if so the unit is likely overheating...do you have a HEPA filter installed? If so remove that and put a regular one in and try it.

bypass.. just disconnect it then and let it run? i have the least expensive filter meaning the least restrictive and also i have tried without the filter..
could it be the blower not blowing hard enough or not pulling enough cool air in?
the blower sounds ok. meaning doesn't sound like the bearings are going bad

Just bypass it and see if it stays running if so the heat exchanger could be blocked or the blower may not be running on the fastest speed.

Hi there,
I was just touching base with you because I have not heard back from you and the question is still open and unrated, I am not credited anything until a good star rating is supplied I would really appreciate it if you could do that thanks!

Hi there,

Hi there,

HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH