HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

My compressor is making a very loud series of noises in the…

Customer Question
My compressor is making a...
My compressor is making a very loud series of noises in the middle of a cycle. First off the unit clicks and kicks on normally and low humming can be heard from the compressor, nothing out of the ordinary. Heat is felt inside the house. Because we have a Heat pump once the auxiliary heat kicks off the actual heat pump portion of the cycle kicks on it is during this portion of the cycle that it’s everything is interrupted after 20 to 30 minutes with from what I can tell is the following events: the fan starts winding down and comes to an abrupt stop at the exact same moment the compressor starts buzzing VERY loudly for 5-10 seconds; then does the same thing again 15 seconds later. I have video of the unit doing this. The reason that I’m concerned there’s something wrong with it is because we have two identical units one heat pump from the downstairs one he pump for the upstairs and the other unit does not do this so my question is is this normal or is there something wrong with the unit?
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: HVAC
11/25/2017
HVAC Technician: HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH replied 8 months ago
HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH

One moment please..Note it takes time to type and add links so please be patient. Also the site will send you a phone call offer, that is not me.

What is the make and model if the unit?

Ph13nr018k Payne

It sounds like either you are losing power to the contactor for a a couple seconds and then it is trying to power on instantly. Yes there is a problem for sure, disgnosing the issue you are having honestly will require someone onsite with a meter to see what is happening when it is turning off and back on. I would not use it in the meantime and get a tech out. It could be just a bad connection to the contactor or a contactor issue itself.

All I ask is please select the 5 STAR rating at the top of your page before leaving otherwise I receive ZERO credit for assisting you. BONUSES are always appreciated...Thanks and you can come back anytime for free followup questions & Happy Holidays!

The other unit does the same thing just much quieter

Yes your one unit sounds like it is either having a contactor or capacitor issue for sure.

No. Swapped capacitors no change
HVAC Technician: Gaztech, HVAC Technician replied 8 months ago
Gaztech
Gaztech, HVAC Technician
Hi I am Gaztech1, a independent technician, I will assist you with your issue.Don't forget to rate the 5 star rating AT THE TOP OF PAGE after we are done. this will credit me for assisting you.Are you ready?
Yep

OK so you are familiar with the defrost cycle? shuts off Fan on outdoor unit, reverse to cooling to bring heat from house to outside unit, all this is noisy ?

I did notice this cycle and saw a cloud of mist shoot out.. it just sounds so painful when it does it
it is, only that part of it running
The rest of it running sounds completely normal
I have video

Defrost cycle time is controled by temperature sensor that is maried to the defrost control board

-sensor will need to be checked...

-Temperature of refrigerant

Please attatch video.

If you shut the main power down to both units for 1 min. then restart with both t-stat on demand 1 degree over room temp. and then compare the behavior of each.

make sure you have clean filters, and good air flow of furnace blower.

hello?

Working on it now one sec
Upon turning them off the condenser and question fan turn off abruptly and stopped on and on and the one that is not having any problems fan came to a gradual stop upon turning them back on the condenser and home heating system that is working properly turn right back on immediately and the one in question still has not
It just now kicked on

Ok

To many variables to give a diagnotic this way, to prevent any damage to your equipment, get a qualified technician to resolve the issue on site.

Sincerely

Gaztech1