HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

I was just turning my thermostat down and it keeps showing a

lock on it and won't...
I was just turning my thermostat down and it keeps showing a lock on it and won't move any of the numbers. It shows room temperature 23?? There are only 3 things on it, arrow up menu and arrow down. I can't seem to get the rid of the lock and the numbers won't move. I tried hitting the menu but nothing changes. Please help me.
JA: Just to clarify, do you think this is a larger HVAC problem, or something specific to the thermostat?
Customer: Something that I hit by mistake. It was dark in the room and I just touched the down button and then it didn't seem to do much, but then it was okay. So I hit it again to get the temperature down, blindly, and;then there was a lock on it. I don't believe it has anything to do with a larger problem, I was the problem. I'm not sure what to do. It is on auto and heat and shows room temperature 23 and set to 22 with a flashing lock???? Help me please
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I'm alone and have no one to do it for me and hate to call a company. Just thought it was something that I'm notdoing to get the lock off?
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I'm not sure what you mean. All I can do is decribe what the thermostat shows and was hoping you could guide me on correcting the problem. Since it shows 23 room temperature and has stayed the same degrees does that mean we have no heat now?
11/25/2017
HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH

One moment please..Note it takes time to type and add links so please be patient. Also the site will send you a phone call offer, that is not me.

What is the make and model of the thermostat?

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
It only shows Emerson. The person who installed it never gave me any paperwork and is no longer in town.

to enter the Configuration Menu, SYSTEM must be set to HEAT, COOL or EMER. Press the Menu button for at least 5

seconds. The display will show item #1 in the table below. Press Menu button to advance to the next menu item.

Does it go into installer mode?

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
I held the menu button and the lock still keeps flashing and nothing has changed.
Customer reply replied 20 days ago
Are there any other things I can do to get it unlocked?? Its starting to get cold in the house.

I need the model of the thermostat can you find any numbers off it?

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
There are no numbers on it. It only shows Emerson.

Is it battery powered? Pop it off the wall and see.

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
I tried but it doesn't seem to want to come off the wall. I really don't think it is the battery, just a stupid mistake I made by not looking at the thermostat when I was changing the temperature. It's really on the wall good and am afraid to pull too hard that it might break. Are you able to call me?

I can not call at the moment, try to press the UP arrow and Menu button at the same time for 3-4 secs does it unlock?

HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH
Phone call session started
Customer reply replied 20 days ago
I tried that and the lock is off now and the arrow only would go up to 37.and says limit.

YOu may be in the Menu mode are you? Try to make sure you are out of the menu mode

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
Should I press the menu button again, just afraid it will lock up all over again. Just can't get the temperature to go past 37

Yes just press it once do not hold it if you press and hold the menu or up arrow and menu it will lock just do not hold the buttons for 3 secs and you can press them.

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
You are saying press the menu button only fpr 3 secs and then i can press the arrow up?

NO just press the Menu button once DO NOT HOLD...or just leave it sit for a few minutes and it should exit the INstaller Menu on its own.

Also To conveniently reset only the user settings back to factory defaults, press Menu and Backlight buttons at the same time and hold until the display goes blank and resets.

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
I pressed it once, did not hold and the room temperature has changed to 70 but where it would show the set to temperature, shows 02 flashing

This could be a programming time conflict can you just set it to HOLD and see if it runs?

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
I think it is okay now. The room temperature shows 75 and I was able to press the down arrow to 69. No flashing anymore. I hear the heat working. Looks like it is working now and I can only keep my fingers crossed.
I do want to thank you so much for helping me out and your patience with me.

OK great! No problem at all have a great Weekend...no more messing with the T-stat:)))

HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH