HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

York afinity 9 series 4 red light error code for limit

Customer Question
York afinity 9 series...

York afinity 9 series 4 red light error code for limit switch is open

Contractor's Assistant: How old is the appliance? Have you gotten error messages before?

9 years old

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes, so far

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I checks the thermastat (good); checked ignition votage read 98

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: HVAC
11/24/2017
HVAC Technician: BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech replied 9 months ago
BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech

My name is Billy.

When this occurred was the filter plugged? Is the main blower running during this code?

there is no filter in the furnance... I did check the two connected and changed them just in case... I was wondering if it needed resetring.... I do not know were the reset button is

if the limit switch is stuck open it will not reset.

Can you post a picture of the furnace with door off so I can draw what to check? Or I can look for pics in my files..

Thank you!

First test is to simply tap a switch 3-4 times..

See this pic HERE....flat plate with 2 wires...turn power tap the plate 3-4 times and turn power back on...does code stay the same?

where is my response
or refund my money... another scam

see above. Here is copy

Thank you! First test is to simply tap a switch 3-4 times.. See this pic HERE....flat plate with 2 wires...turn power tap the plate 3-4 times and turn power back on...does code stay the same?

are you getting my replies?

I have sent you the first item to check and have not heard back

link again for pic

see HERE

the same problem that I had is still there. the furnance does not ignite and the fan stays on for five minutes and goes out
nothing has changed

Ok,

now I do not know how far you want to go with hands on...but do you mind removing those 2 wires on the flat plate and connecting directly together? Use a small nail, staple etc to insert into the 2 wire ends to connect together...then tell me if code remains

I tapped the flat box and the same 4 red error codes and the same response...no ignition flame and the blower turns off

did you get my reply about connecting the wires?

Here is another copy of previous reply

Ok, now I do not know how far you want to go with hands on...but do you mind removing those 2 wires on the flat plate and connecting directly together? Use a small nail, staple etc to insert into the 2 wire ends to connect together...then tell me if code remains
the two wires connected to the limit switch was connected end to end screw in between resulted with same 4 red lights when I turned it back on...
you are trying the same thing I already found on the internet before coming to your website

I have no idea what you have tried and not tried so I have to start at begining...did you test roll outs also?

Did you follow the wires from the flat plate limit to other switches in the safety loop?

Have you already done that also?

When I sent the message I said the four red lights were connected to the limit switch
the furnance does not ignite and the blower still goes off after several minutes

The 4 blinks mean more than one problem...it can open limit, open aux limit, open roll out, bad circuit board.

So I dont waste your time having you check things you already have...tell me what you done.

I changed the thermastate...same outcome as the old thermastate
the blower works for several minutes turns off
set the temperature to 75 degrees the thermastate says 60 degrees
I checked the outside filters which I knew were clean
I used a voltage meter to check the igniter and the temperature rod
I tried resetting the circuit breaker several times
The blower runs then turns off
I had already taken the two wires off the limit switch and put them back on

On the burner box...there are flame roll out limits. Did you press the tiny button between wires?

I also cleaned the temp rod with steel wool
tiny buttons?

there is the box that surrounds the flame area...this is the burner box....either on the sides, top or bottom...there will be a 2 wires going to a round switch like this..press the button between the 2 wire connections

on the side of the burner box there is knob or metal in between the two wires...but is not shapped like that.. I tried pushing it in or side ways, but it did not move
it is not red like the one you sent... its metal
looks aluminum in color

Remove the wires just like you did on the flat plate and connect direct to bypass.

pulled wires lose. Put a nail in between each and turn on... there was a little voltage after turning fan back on... but red lights sill blink

Ok, here is the summary..

a wire leaves the circuit board carrying 24v.

It runs to a limit, then out...to another switch....it can run like this for 3-4 switches before pulling back into the circuit board.

Open limit means that 24v left the board,,,ran through the loop but has not returned. So we start following the wires from the boar to the limit, to the next and then rollouts until it goes back to board. If you test/bypass all the safetys in this loop...and the 24v is getting back to the board, then the board is bad.

The best way I can describe is to follow the wires connecting these switches....trace the wire from switch to switch until the wire leads back to board.

using the last two wires on the burner box? when I find them on the circuit board then what?

have you traced the wires to make sure you are not missing one? Another one on burner box for example? Or one in the bottom blower section?

Have you followed the wires to make sure you found them all before getting back to circuit board?

ok I'll check the two wires on the side of burner, the two on limit switch, the temp rod wire
There are no wires loose from the limit switch, side burner box, or temp rod... I traced to the outside on/ off switch, down to the circuit board
Hello?
Hello
If no limit is open then you likely have a bad board
I wasted 3 hours and $28 for a response I could have called someone to come in and tell me this?
Everything we discussed I had went through
I have covered the entire limit loop but am at the mercy of what and how you have checked things. This site is based on information not actually fixing things. Yes you could have called in someone to tell you the same thing......for about $350.00 more. The information you used even before starting this thread was likely answers we already had online. So you were able to use our answers before this exchange.In this case I would call for service to verify your testing. Also this is 100% satisfaction site. You will not be able to have any contractor offer you that.A contractor can walk in your door..tell you the same thing...but you cannot get a refund. So this is a great deal from every angle for you.