HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

My boiler wont start. There is a yellow light on. A few

Customer Question
My boiler wont start ...

My boiler wont start

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

There is a yellow light on

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

A few hours

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Tank was empty we refilled it with diesel until the oil company delivers tomorrow

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: HVAC
11/24/2017
HVAC Technician: Rick, HVAC Supervisor replied 7 months ago
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

If you ran out of oil you do need to purge the air from the oil line. To do this you need a 3/8" (typically) open end wrench, a small container to catch the oil and a small piece of 1/4" od rubber tubing (the tubing isn't vital it just makes it a little easier). Locate the bleed fitting on the oil pump (on the left side of the oil burner where the oil line connects) it has a hex with a small hose barb protruding. Position your container directly below it. Loosen the hex. You will get a little oil and maybe a few bubbles. Now hit the reset button on the burner control and let it run until it’s a steady stream of oil (no bubbles). Tighten the hex back up and you're done. The burner should fire up once you close off the bleeder. You may need to hit the reset more than once. If your ignition control (the device with the reset button on the burner) is a Honeywell R7184 then the control will go into a hard lockout if you push the reset more than twice. You need to hold the button down for at least 30 seconds to release the lockout.