HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

What size ducane furnace for a 1800 sq ft home, 2 story. Not…

Customer Question
What size ducane furnace...

What size ducane furnace for a 1800 sq ft home, 2 story

Contractor's Assistant: Did you check the furnace's filters?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Not I can think of

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: HVAC
Answered in 2 days by:
11/27/2017
HVAC Technician: airheatman, HVAC Technician replied 9 months ago
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician

To begin with, the only way to be sure unit is sized properly is to do a load calculation on the home.THis is known as a Manual J Load Calculation.It is a program where you enter all of the building construction factors such as square footage of home, construction type such as wood frame or brick,how much attic insulation, wall insulation. whether on a slab or up off the ground on peers. the square footage of glass windows and type of windows facing each direction, whether there are covered porches shading windows,number of occupants(figuring 2 per bedroom),number of fireplaces if any, number and type of exterior doors,ceiling types,geographic location and other such factors.For example a 1500 square foot well insulated home with double pane windows on a slab with 8 foot ceilings and very few windows facing north with 2 bedrooms in North Carolina with an average low winter temperature of 35 might only require a 60K btu furnace to properly heat the home where as the same 1500 square home in North Dakota with an average low of 10 degrees.with 9 foot ceilings or if not well insulated and had a lot of glass windows facing north may require as much as 100K btu of heat to properly heat the home.
This takes about an hour and a half to two hours to do a manual J by entering all the construction factors.Most contractors will run a manual J for about 200.00 and add it to the price of the installation.Many states are requiring the manual J in order for permit to be issued and inspected.All new construction requires the manual J.This protects the homeowner and guarantees unit is properly sized.

There are some simple load calculation programs you can use online to get close .

See link:

http://www.loadcalc.net/

What part of the country are you in and is home well insulated ?I can help with any questions about how to sue the calculation guide, just let me know.