HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

That is awesome. I wasn't expecting that. The pilot light…

Customer Question
HEY, Yes that is...

HEY, Yes that is awesome. I wasn't expecting that. The pilot light went out on my furncace and I'm trying to get it re-lit. It sounds like the fan and everything are working short of that. Just no pilot light. The pilot clicker does not click like it sounds like it's trying to spark. I tried to light it manually but it seems like it is not getting gas to the pilot light.

Contractor's Assistant: Did you check the furnace's filters?

I'm not sure how to do that. It's pretty old.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Kinda. It seems like lighting a pilot light should be a relatively simple task.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Na that's about all I can think of. It was working just the yesterday and it seems like the pilot just went out for no reason what so ever.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: HVAC
11/24/2017
HVAC Technician: Daniel Plourde, HVAC Technician replied 4 months ago
Daniel Plourde
Daniel Plourde, HVAC Technician

HI I AM DAN I CAN HELP YOU WITH THIS. HERE ARE SOME INSTRUCTIONS FOR RELIGHTING A PILOT LIGHT. IF YOU CANT RELIGHT IT I WILL NEED THE MODEL NUMBER OF YOUR FURNACE SO WE CAN DIG INTO IT DEEPER TO FIND THE PROBLEM.

1. If you have a pilot with a red Reset button, turn the gas valve from "Off" to "Pilot." If you have a pilot with no red button, turn the knob from "Off" to "Pilot."

2. Place the lit match or ignited lighter tip at the pilot, while depressing and holding the button or depressing the knob as appropriate. Depress the button or knob for about 30 seconds. This maintains gas flow to the pilot until the thermocouple gets hot enough to open the main gas valve.
  3. Once the pilot stays lit, slowly release the button or knob, and turn the gas cock or knob from the "Pilot" position to the "On" position. This will ignite the burners and keep the flow of gas supplied as required for the burners when called for by the thermostat.
Hey Daniel,
Just tried that tactic. It unfortunately did not work. Any other suggestions?

DID THE PILOT FLAME COME ON AT ALL DURRING THAT?

Na. It didn't even seem to try.
Ok make sure there is gas going to the furnace
Okay, I'll Check. Is there an easy way to double check that?
If there are other gas appliances check to see if they work or disconnect the the union on the gas pipe for the furnace
Okay. Good Call. I'll give that a shot and get back to you.
Ok let me know

if you have any more questions about this please let me know or if this helps you i would appreciate it if you could rate me on my service by selecting one of the 5 stars on your page.

Daniel Plourde
Daniel Plourde
Daniel Plourde, HVAC Technician