HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

My mom lives in a mobile home and has a Nordyne Miller M1BC…

Customer Question
Hello. My mom lives...

Hello. My mom lives in a mobile home and has a Nordyne Miller M1BC gas fired furnace. After the temperature is set on the thermostat the fire box is activated, the boiler heats and the main blower turns on but then turns off a few minutes later. Then after a few minutes, the blower will kick back on but then shut off again. This cycle will continue. The blower will continue to work if the thermostat is set to manual.

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

The main filter has been changed. The thermostat has been reset. Is there another air filter elsewhere?

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Other then I am leaving the area (visiting the area tomorrow) and would like to get this resolved before I leave since my mom lives alone.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: HVAC
11/24/2017
HVAC Technician: gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician replied 7 months ago
gotoman for ac
gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician

Russ here. sounds like abad fan switch. Try this first. Turn fan to on position. Run furnace and see if fan turn off. If it runs ok bad fan switch. Russ

You have fan switch on top of control box on furnace. Inside the fan switch is the round switch top corner once you remove panel. Russ

I too narrowed down the problem to the fan switch. Using the schematic included on the control box cover I can see the fan switch turning the fan on (120VAC on both sides) but then it turns the fan off after a minute or two. The thermostat is still calling for heat and the fire box is still on. Then after another minute, the fan switch turns back on. Any idea why the switch is turning on and off?

Fan switches get corroded and go bad, They are just a bimetal disk that snaps to bring fan on. Just above to left there is a toggle switch that will bring the fan on. You can use that to keep fan on to heat the house. RussRuss

Take a photo of inside of panel and attach and I will match switch to your furnace. Russ

The rate of fan blower cycling now: 3 minutes on, 1 minute off, 3 minute on, 1 minute off...
The burner is always on.

Does un it have ac on system. Russ

Cycling on fan switch means it is not getting enough air flow or bad switch. You replaced switch. So it is air flow. Need to move fan speed up a little. Also if you have air on this system maybe a stopped up cooling coil. The switches go out very often. I carry 2 in my truck at all times .Russ