HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have a Utica Boiler, DV125A, Temp gauge on side says its…

Customer Question
Hello, I have a...

Hello, I have a Utica Boiler, DV125A, Temp gauge on side says its hitting 180 degrees. But output never exceeds 165, trying to determine why

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Not sure, we purchased the house with the existing boiler in it, just trying to determine why DHW takes so long

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Have been, with help of family. Already changed out the DHW take, replaced the pumps, put in a new TekMar 402. Just working our way thru

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Hard to say, I don 't know what I don't know. I am a computer guy doing a heating system.

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

No filters installed that I am aware of.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: HVAC
Attached some photo's. Don't know if they help or not. Shows boiler gauge at 180, and boiler supply which is read at the top, 4 inches prior to the pressure / expansion tank. Almost a 30 degree difference, cannot help wonder if that is factoring into DHW taking longer. Plus I believe I may have a bad air vent I just noticed on the SMART 50 indirect hot water tank, possible I have trapped air which would lengthen the time, however if I don't have near 180 exiting the boiler , that would not help.
IMG_1503.JPGIMG_1503.JPGIMG_1510.JPGIMG_1510.JPGIMG_1504.JPGIMG_1504.JPGIMG_1506.JPGIMG_1506.JPGIMG_1505.JPGIMG_1505.JPG53309693478__A21C0C2C-CC...JPG5330969...JPG53309694240__6030A86C-23...JPG5330969...JPG53309695863__8F32D34F-67...JPG5330969...JPG53309698523__C17E4E05-BA...JPG5330969...JPG53309726498__3E626ECD-A9...JPG5330972...JPG
11/23/2017
HVAC Technician: Rick, HVAC Supervisor replied 7 months ago
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

Based on what you've said so far this sounds like an issue of the boiler not being able to keep up with system demand. If the burner doesn't shut off that is a confirmation. Unless you have a very big boiler (looks like you don't) DHW recovery might not be as fast as you like. The system water temp won't approach the target temp until the tank temp is near tank limit setting. With the tekmar outdoor reset system temp for heating will be lower if outdoor temp isn't that cold. If you have the DHW wired and programmed for priority (looks like you have) the target temp will be your max limit setting. Air in the line is very unusual on an indirect that is at the same level as the boiler (assuming boiler is the low point in the system). Even if you did have some air in the line your Spirovent should eliminate it. This has nothing to do with boiler temp and likely has little effect on DHW recovery.