HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

Americian standard freedom 80 single stage natural gas

Americian standard freedom 80...

Americian standard freedom 80 single stage natural gas furnace won't light

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat? And what about the pilot light?

Don;t think this furnace has a piolet light it has a glow plug put in a new circit board a year ago problem is back again

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Service person put board in. furnace starting blowing cold air, shut furnace off at the main switch turned it back on worked for 1 day now won't start

11/22/2017
HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH

One moment please..Note it takes time to type and add links so please be patient. Also the site will send you a phone call offer, that is not me.

Will it not even start heat sequence, meaning the indcuer fan does not come on at all?

fan starts - glow plugs come on - -few seconds a click and glow plugs go out with no ingition

This is likely a thermal rollout issue. There are high limit safety thermostats that are around the burner housing area that can trip open if they fail or the unit is overheating. Some of these have reset buttons on them that you can manually press down to reset while others do not. The ones that do not either are one time limits or are limits that are suppose to manually reset when cooled down. Now that does not always happen when they go bad so you will have to check them for continuity with an ohm meter across the two leads going to them. If you do not pwn a ohm meter you can physically bypass each rollout to make sure it is good by connecting the two wires to each rollout sensor together to see if the unit will then operate. Now once you have found the bad one you can change it out or reset it and then you should check your furnace filter for blockages and make sure you main furnace blower is running to speed. These two things can cause a unit to overheat and trip one of these rollout sensors. Mosts units have 3 of these devices and here is a link to what they can look like on your unit.

CLICK HERE

CLICK HERE

CLICK HERE

All I ask is please select the 5 STAR rating at the top of your page before leaving otherwise I receive ZERO credit for assisting you. Thanks and you can come back anytime for free followup questions.

HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH