HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

My Goodman furnace approx. 20yrs old makes a loud explosion…

Customer Question
My Goodman furnace approx...

My Goodman furnace approx. 20yrs old makes a loud explosion when the igniter kicks in. Is this something that can be repaired or is it time for a new one.

Contractor's Assistant: Did you check the furnace's filters?

Yes it does this even with a new filter

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Not unless it is something simple

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Is it still safe to use?

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: HVAC
11/22/2017
HVAC Technician: Rick, HVAC Supervisor replied 10 months ago
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

What you describe is delayed ignition. It's almost always caused by dirty burners. It's probably just a matter of cleaning the burners properly

Is that something I can do myself or do I need a serviceman

Best to have a pro do it and check out the unit at the same time. If the burners are dirty enough to cause delayed ignition this unit probably hasn't been serviced in quite some time

I am not at home right now but I will call you later

No need for a call. I'd suggest you can a pro for service. We only give expert advice. We don't do service work.

Do you have more questions?