HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

My furnace says pres. switch open with inducer on what Is…

Customer Question
My furnace says pres...

My furnace says pres. switch open with inducer on what Is the problem

Contractor's Assistant: Did you check the furnace's filters?

Just pulled out filter and restarted does the same

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

No light blinks twice indicating problem

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: HVAC
11/22/2017
HVAC Technician: Rick, HVAC Supervisor replied 8 months ago
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can

continue our conversation.

The question is do you have a bad switch or a weak fan ( is the draft fan running?) or a blocked exhaust vent. You can check the vent for blockages and also the vac tubing connected to the switch. Be sure the tubing is not kinked, deteriorated or doesn't have water in it. You can also poke a paper clip into the port where the tubing connects but not into the switch connection. If all that checks out. Turn the power off to the unit wait a couple minutes then turn it back on. After the fan starts remove one of the leads from the pressure switch and connect it to the other lead. If the sequence continues then you may have a faulty pressure switch or possibly a weak fan. The next thing we would do is put a manometer on the exhaust to check the actual draft pressure but you aren't likely to have a manometer and they are expensive. Replacing the switch is one other option since it's less money than a manometer (or a new draft fan) and it is a likely culprit.

Is the inducer the little round thing that has hoses running to it

Yes, I posted a pic with typical switches in my last post

Ok I cleaned that out and it started once but will not start

I gave you a laundry list of things to do. Did you do them all?

it is saying I need to put in my credit card info again I just did it

I don't have anything to do with payment issues. If you have payment questions contact customer service.

If you did all that the next thing to do is disconnect the exhaust pipe from the draft fan and look inside the fan for debris. If it's clean then replace the draft switch or call a pro