HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

Heating/AC no Longer Works After Pilot Relit Buy Gas Co My…

Customer Question
Heating/AC no Longer Works After...
Heating/AC no Longer Works After Pilot Relit Buy Gas CoMy gas company replaced my gas meter. After doing so they went into my attic to relight my pilot lights on my two furnaces. After doing this only one of my two units worked. The other does not. I could really use some help getting it going again. The AC and heat worked great one this unit before the guy went up to relit the pilot light.The unit that doesn't work has these items:Honeywell RTH8500D Thermostat
Rheem Criterion Furnace RGVG-05EAUER
Goodman CHPF1824A6 Evaporator CoilThe thermostat looks like it is working correctly. When it calls for heat or AC the unit doesn't turn on.I have checked the breaker for the unit, the power switch by the unit. Both are turned on. The furnace has safety switches on the doors. I have removed to doors and installed them again making sure the switches are pushed in by the covers.
I looked for fuse but didn’t see one.
There is no condensate drain switch.
I have power at the electrical box entering the unit but no green LEDs are lit on the control board when I manually hold in the safety switch over the door.
Any ideas how I can get it going again would be really appreciated.Thanks.
Steve
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: HVAC
11/22/2017
HVAC Technician: Rick, HVAC Supervisor replied 4 months ago
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can

continue our conversation.

This unit deosn't have LED's on the control board. Do you have a multi meter?

This unit has green LEDs on the board for power,....Yes I have a multimeter. Last night I brought off the wire which connects the unit to the sharp probe. I have striped back a bit of the wire and think it is usable.

Then the board has been changed. I'm not aware of any boards with LED's that are compatible with a standing pilot (lit all the time) system. Check for 120 volts to the trans foremr primary side and 24 volts on transformer secondary.

Can you see the pictures attached to another question? This is the same unit I worked with JustAnswer on earlier on March 7, 2016..On March 13, 2016 I posted two pictures of the control board/unit. These may help you solve this issue.My unit doesn't have a pilot light.

You started out by saying "Pilot relit by gas co". If the LED's aren't lit you have no power to the board. You still need to test the transforemer.

0 VAC on the primary side of the transformer
0 VAC on the secondary side of the transformerBoth measurements were taken with the power switch turned on and the door switch annually held in.Everything is acting like it is a blown fuse but I can't find a fuse anywhere.

The schematic shows a fuse in the line where the 120 volt feed connects to the unit.

Is it on the board or in the wiring between the house and the board?

Looks like it's in the juction box where electrical feed connects to the unit

I will turn off the power, open the junction box and look in there for a fuse.

ok

No fuse in the fuse box. Where else can we look for one?

follow that 120 volt line to the board. If there is one it would be between the board and the j box. Do you have 120 vac at the j box?

I have 120 VAC at the junction box.

Then you need to trace out where you lose it between the j box and the transformer.

I have 120 VAC at the board.Is the board bad?

If you don't have 120 volts at the transformer and 120 volts at the board then the board must be bad since the 120 volt feed to the transformer comes from the terminals on the board. Did you probe those terminals?

If so how can I find out which boards fit my unit?
For the transformer I connected alligator clips to the transformer terminals, not the other end of the wires on the board.

Try probing the terminals where the transformer leads connect to the board. If you have 0 vac get a new board. If you read 120 VAC then you may have a bad connection.

ouchthat is pretty expensive. Do you know where I can get it for less money?

That site as cheap as you're likely to find

I'd appreciate a favorable rating

What is the correct part number of the replacement I need? My furnace is Model # RGVG-05EAUER. The Serial # is CM1D302F51922356. However my board has been replaced and a flame sensor has been added. I want to ge sure to order the right part.

There's no way I can know what board was used if you have a flame sensor retrofit. Like I said before contact the guys at the the link above for a suitable replacement.

Hi there.I put the replacement board in my furnace. This is the board I got:https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E3EM40S/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1I get no LED lights on the board with the power turned on and the door cover switch pressed.I can’t tell if the problem was misdiagnosed, I got the wrong board, or I installed it incorrectly.What should I do next?Steve
HVAC Technician: airheatman, HVAC Technician replied 4 months ago
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician

Steve let me do a little investigating on this.

Hang on I see you already provided serial.Be right back

I should have added the model number on my old board is 1012-920A.
I have 120 VAC between PR1 and neutral on the board with the door switch closed.
I have 120 vac between XFMR and Neutral. They are not wired backwards.
0 VAC between SEC and COM XFMR from transformer. Is the transformer shot? If so where can I order the correct part?

Yes if power in but not out of transformer the transformer is dead, You can buy for about 10 to 15 bucks at any appliance parts store. Just ask for a 120/24 40VA transformer.

You can get a universal online

https://www.alliedelec.com/white-rodgers-90-t40f3/70101872/?mkwid=s6vGhZJkd&pcrid=30980760979&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIqtSs89X41wIVnrbACh2t2gzkEAQYAyABEgLnFvD_BwE

If you have further questions, please let me know.
Thanks for letting me work with you.If my answer has been polite, professional,and thorough, please click one of the ratings before you go. If you still need help let me know!.Expert is not paid for assisting you until you rate answer.Feel free to follow up for 30 days at no additional cost. Bonus always appreciated if you feel justified.
To rate answer, please select one of the stars on the page.
Leaving a poor service rating will not automatically refund your money,but reflects poorly on your expert. You have to request a refund if not satisfied with the information provided being accurate.

I should have mentioned it operates in a very high heat and humidity area if that makes any difference to your recommendation for a model.

A standard transformer should be fine.The furnace board and other components would be much more susceptable to damage from humidity than the transformer

Does this one look like it will work good?https://www.amazon.com/White-Rodgers-90-T40F3-Aftermarket-Replacement/dp/B00SXIPZH4/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Absolutely .It will come with instructions as to what wires are used for 120 v. Usually black and white

It has been ordered. I will provide an update after it gets here and I try to put it in.Thanks for working through this!

Sounds good

the transformer came last night and I have good news and not so good news.I just installed it and I now have power on the board some green LEDs are on. This is a big improvement.But when I turn on either the heat or the AC nothing turns on either on the furnace or outside.Is the issue the original one, is it the replacement board I put in (I still have the old board and can try putting it in), is it related to the board replacement I did, or is it something else?

Jumper R and W on control board and see if heat come son (door switch in)https://i.imgur.com/JprQdYv.png

Okay went to try to jump R & W and no lights on the board now.I have power at the transformer primary and secondary.It tried jumping R & W but nothing happened.Have a good board if you decide we need to use it.

Let's try the other board.

I should have said I have the old board. I can't say for sure it is good. It will be a while before I can do that.

OK, WE should get lights on board if we have power both high and low.

Okay I put the original board in. We have green lights on the board. When I set it to heat the furnace will come on now and I get heat.When I set it to cool the unit outside and attic both don't turn on.95% of what I use the unit for is cooling. How can I get the cooling working again?

Leave it alone while you have heat. LOL. Just kidding. Lets go to thermostat and see if it could be the problem.Give me model on stat and tell me about the wiring

I see it in original comment. Go to the setup menu and make sure function 0170 is set to 1

Here you can see a lot of info and pictures of the AC unit, the thermostat and the veristar add a wire I worked with Billy to get working correctly.https://my-secure.justanswer.com/question/index/e6f4ad32b48140d2af03bc208feef097?continueTheConversation=False&comingFromAdservEmail=False&ratedThroughEmail=False&rating=0&paymentType=Unknown
On the thermostat in the setup menu item 170 is set to 1.

Go to thermostat and connect r to Y and G and see if fan inside and the ac come on

Nothing when I did that.

I am about to leave out of town for weekend.

Are all the wires still like they were when you and Billy talked?

all the wires are the same as when Billy & I talked.

Has to be something breaking the low voltage circuit circuit in cool mode. I am leaving so it will be first of week before I can continue

I am headed into a weekend when I can totally focus on this. Is there someone else you can have step in for the weekend?

I will opt out so other experts may pick up here.

Thanks airheatman. It is important for me to get this running soon.
Can anyone help with this? I able to focus on only this for today and tomorrow.Thanks.
airheatman are you back?
It has been 4 days since I have heard from a technician.
Can someone help solve this problem?
Can someone help solve this problem?
Could sure use some help with this problem. Can anyone help out?
airheatman
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician