HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have an American Standard/Trane TWV030B140A1 Air Handler.

Customer Question
I have an American...

I have an American Standard/Trane TWV030B140A1 Air Handler. The fan won't turn off once it starts up after flipping the breaker back on. Heat, Cold, Off positions, doesn't matter, the blower will not turn off. It heats and cools properly but will just continue blowing even when not heating or cooling.

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

It did it with the old Mercury tube Thermostat and I just installed a new digital thermostat and it still does it. I triple checked the thermostat

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

There is a single filter that is new on top of the air handler and yes, unless I cannot figure it out myself

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

It is a split unit in a doublewide, so the air handler is a 1995 model in a closet. Brand new AC unit outside, brand new fan motor and capacitor in the air handler

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: HVAC
11/22/2017
HVAC Technician: D.E. Anderson, Industrial Refrigeration Service Manager replied 7 months ago
D.E. Anderson
D.E. Anderson, Industrial Refrigeration Service Manager
Hi, how are you. Either there will be a circuit board or a blower Relay in your air handler that is stuck calling for the blower. I have not looked up your specific model yet but if you give me a few minutes to look it up I will verify. Also, you could have a short between the 24v Hot (typically red) wire and the blower control wire (typically green) of the thermostat wire running between your thermostat and air handler. There could also be a fan limit. Do you have a meter to take voltage measurements? Thanks
I have a meter that I will check everything with this afternoon. After further research I believe the time-delay fan relay is likely the problem, part number ST82D1004. I have one on order and will check out your suggestions as well.
I also feel it is the time delay Relay. It's a very common problem from that era.
Hopefully the new relay will do the trick. Thanks for the help, I'll get back in contact if that doesn't fix it, Thanks.
Thank you