HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

My thermostat screen shows vertical bands and is unreadable.

Customer Question
My thermostat screen shows...

Contractor's Assistant: Just to clarify, do you think this is a larger HVAC problem, or something specific to the thermostat?

I think it's specific to the thermostat. There has been no issues with power as far as I know. I did unplug and plug it back in thinking maybe a reset would help.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If you can help me through it I would. I live in Canada and it's cold and I'm concerned the heater isn't going to work. I'm relatively tech savvy, if you can help diagnose the problem that would be great.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Is this a common problem for a unit that's probably 6 years old?

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: HVAC
11/22/2017
HVAC Technician: HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH replied 3 months ago
HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH

One moment please..Note it takes time to type and add links so please be patient. Also the site will send you a phone call offer, that is not me.

That is common on some of the thermostats that were made in the last decade. The display board is bad on the thermostat. The bad news is there is not fix for it you just need to buy a new thermostat for your home. If you need it to heat remove the thermostat from the wall and remove the wire connected to the R terminal and the one connected to the W terminal and interlock them. The furnace will heat until they are disconnected. Get a new one ASAP.

All I ask is please select the 5 STAR rating at the top of your page before leaving otherwise I receive ZERO credit for assisting you. Thanks and you can come back anytime for free followup questions.

are you saying that I put a wire jumper between the red terminal and the white terminal that I can turn on my furnace manually?
your advice did not work,

ok if nothing came on at the furnace check the furnaces control board for any flashing errors, do you see any?

A Lennox approved technician just replaced my thermostat (at great expense - these units are expensive). The advice you gave about the two terminals doesn't apply because they use the wires for communicating to the base at the furnace digitally. Can you explain if and how I'll be charged for your service? I
HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH