HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I am getting an error code 114 in a TCONT802 thermostat for…

Customer Question
Hi, I am getting...

Hi, I am getting an error code 114 in a TCONT802 thermostat for a Trane a/c? Had a power outage for some weeks. Any ideas?

Contractor's Assistant: Just to clarify, do you think this is a larger HVAC problem, or something specific to the thermostat?

A/c seems to be ok, technician says its a communication problem.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

No, just getting answers for possible solutions to tech guy.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Don't think so.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: HVAC
11/22/2017
HVAC Technician: gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician replied 7 months ago
gotoman for ac
gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician

Russ here. 114 in problem with PM module in outside unit. The info module gets scrambled and may need replaced. Usually you can turn power off to inside and outside unit and reset boards and faults but is error code persist change module. Russ

Units were reset with no results. PM module was replaced but still no positive results. Any ideas?

Everything on flow chart indicate PM module. You cycled power to both units. Is the outside board lit up. Russ

Give me model number of uni and I will go online to my Trane parts. Need model number to trace part. Russ

Cannot get answer from Trane, appears the small part on the PM board is not typically replaced.

Model number of air handler please. Russ

Still with no air. Service in Puerto Rico is horrible. You were right about the PM module but it seems the "personality plug in" was corroded and did not work. It plugs in to the PM module. Got in touch with Trane Miami and ordered the part. It will be factory programmed for the condenser, Model 2TTZ9048C1000AA, s/n 826574A1F. One last question. The "personality plug in" installation is just a plug in? Add power and start using?
I will write the review on your service when we finish, you have been great.

Yes that is correct. Will be programmed for that model number. Russ

Will ley you know when the part arrives.

Got it. Russ

PM module, its plug in, and thermostat were replaced but still getting the 114 error code. Trane technician gave up. He says condenser and evaporator check out with no problems. Any idea?
HVAC Technician: gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician replied 6 months ago

If Trane tech says everything checks out inside and out. How often does it throw a 114 error code.

Error code is on all the time. The ac does not start.

Can not believe they walked away without repairing unit. Easier to check onsite. Did they replace board and plug. Russ

REplaced bosrd, plug and thermostat then walked away!

Just wiring connections from inside and outside. Russ

Will check those.

OK. Let me know. Russ

Trane could not solve the problem.. While all technicians after 8 visits and $2,000 + in billings concluded that unit must be replaced, I bought a CRC spray and cleaned all contacts. Problem solved. Unit has been perfect for three days now. Since unit was exposed to Hurricane Maria and over thirty days without power, I guess corrosion and humidity were the culprits.
Thanks for your help.
Pedro

You are welcome. Russ