HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

I have an AO Smith Vertex hot water heater which works great

Customer Question
except the unit doesn't start...
I have an AO Smith Vertex hot water heater which works great except the unit doesn't start heating until we've used almost all of the hot water in the tank.
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?
Customer: I've increased the temperature and the water is hotter, but it still doesn't start heating until the hot water is gone. Where are the filters?
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: If I can
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I had it shipped to my house and installed it myself after trying for a week to get the local dealer to call me back
Submitted: 26 days ago.Category: HVAC
11/21/2017
HVAC Technician: Rick, HVAC Supervisor replied 26 days ago
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

Please ignore the intake bot's questions. The burners will fire up once the water in the tank has dropped several degrees below the set point. If you feel that your unit is not responding this way then there could be a gas valve temp calibration problem. Contact AO Smith with your concerns since this is a warranty issue assuming this unit is less than 6 years old.

Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer