HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have a GE Water heater with a powervent that needs to have…

Customer Question
I have a GE...

I have a GE Water heater with a powervent that needs to have the vapor sensor reset.

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

We recently had the floors redone and the vapors from the sealer must have set if off. The water heaters is approx. 4 yrs old

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If am I am to reset the vapor sensor myself then yes, not sure how easy or hard that will be

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

The blinking light on the water heater is what I am using to indicate its the vapor sensor. It blinks a blue light 7 times

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: HVAC
11/21/2017
HVAC Technician: Rick, HVAC Supervisor replied 10 months ago
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

You can only reset the gas valve if the sensor is still withing spec. Often when it trips it also fails so if the following reset procedure doesn't work you'll need to replace the sensor.

To reset turn the power off (unplug the unit) wait a minute then turn it back on then turn the temp dial all the way up then all the way down 7 times within 30 seconds of turnng the power back on