HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have a american standerd freedom 80 down draft furance…

Customer Question
Hi i have a...

Hi i have a american standerd freedom 80 down draft furance that keeps short cycles all ready replaced flam sencer with new one along with the thermostat if left off for a hour or so furnance will run normal for about 3. 5 mons then will star to short cycle agin

Contractor's Assistant: Just to clarify, do you think this is a larger HVAC problem, or something specific to the thermostat?

Not the thermostat

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

A good answer would be great my ac is located below the furance and the nlower is on top of the furance

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: HVAC
11/21/2017
HVAC Technician: airheatman, HVAC Technician replied 8 months ago
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician

Can you give me the complete model number on the furnace?

The number on outside of furnace is just a series.

Actual model will be on a label on inside furnace panel just above burners.Remove panel to burner compartment and look inside. The model number will help me give accurate assistance for your specific unit.

Below is a link to a generic video showing where to find label with model number:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZfyeZOFdpU

If furnace is not coming on or does not stay on , there should be an error light flashing on the control board in blower compartment to indicate what has failed. If you can locate this and tell me the pattern of the flash, that will point us in the right direction for troubleshooting.

Also let me know if you have a multi meter for troubleshooting.WE will go from here.

I donot have the model no at the moment the furance will call for motmal heat after 3to 4 times it will go into lovk out 2blinks then a pause if i reset it it will go back for normal call for heat if i leve it off for 15 30 mins the burners will light and stay on for 3 5 min then shouts of.
No
Are you still there
When the furance goes off after 3...4 times 2nlinks then pause indicates lockout

You should get an error code the very first time before the lockut code.

There is no error code befor lock out just the normal code for calling for heat

Locate the limit switches and try bypassing them one at a time and see if maybe one of them is opening.Just bypass long enough for when it would be shutting off.

Ya had a guy out yesterday and he ck those and they were working. If the ac coil was dirty would that cause a over heating prob in the furrance and make it dhout down

Absolutely.The limit will cut it out until chamber cools down,If he checked it with furnace cold they would be closed.We need to check when it is off and should be on

K ill have to ck later tonight when i get home ill try and remove the door for the ac coils and clean them up and see what hsppehs

Let me know what you find.

What are the symptoms of a bad heat exchanger
HVAC Technician: airheatman, HVAC Technician replied 7 months ago

Bad heat exchanger can cause limit to trip.Signs would be if you get headaches and family seems to constantly have cold symptons .You will also often have change in flame characteristics when blower comes on.An old school way of testing heat exchanger is to allow blower to start and toss in a tablespoon of table salt.Watch flame and if turns all orange that is a sure sign heat exchanger is allowing household air into the heat chamber.

Will a bad heat exchanger cause the flame to go out and not telight till it has cooled down

It can yes

If bad enough it can actually cause the flame to blow away from the flame sensor also

See my furance will light and turn on a few min with the blower running mormal then flame out and will.not reignite for sometime
If heat exchangers are bad is it worth replacing them or what to do

If issue turns out to be a bad heat exchanger,it is wise to just replace unit as cost will outweigh benefits.For just a few hundred bucks more, you get all new warranties on all parts