HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have a Trane heat pump model YCC036FH0BFjhad. I have a…

Customer Question
I have a Trane...

I have a Trane heat pump model YCC036FH0BFjhad

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

I have a local Maintenance contract and when he came out this week he told me the inductor motor was bad and wanted $526 to replace it he later told me that I could probably get it for $400 less, which I did ($178). last night it quite working again. the motor is running and the electronic ignition is firing, but the fire box won't ignite.The error light is flashing 3 times.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If I can?

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I can't think of anything else.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: HVAC
11/21/2017
HVAC Technician: airheatman, HVAC Technician replied 5 months ago
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician

Let me grab a manual. Do you see a legend to tell us if 3 flashes is limit or pressure switch?

no. I don't. i tried to get one on line, but that model number has no information. it was manufactured 07/98.

Be right with you. Looking through my manuals

OK I have the manual. Looks like the 3 flashes is a pressure switch issue.

Lets do this.

Next I want you to locate the pressure switch. It will be a small round canister with a hose attaching it to the inducer housing. Remove hose from inducer housing and leave it attached to the pressure switch. Power off and back on to reset board again, Then call for heat at thermostat. Allow inducer to start then suck on the end of hose still attached to pressure switch and see if switch will close and burners ignite.

Pressure switch may be metal or plastic, See below

http://i.imgur.com/xz4NcnM.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/at2Z27r.jpg

I can see the diaphragm moving in and the igniter is trying to fir
I can see the sparking from the igniter but no gas lighting

OK your issue has something to do with that inducer not pulling sufficient vacuum on the switch.Did the tech install a manometer in the line to determine if old inducer was pulling sufficient vacuum for switch to close?

It's like no gas is going to the burner. The valve is open.

Hmm if switch is closing we should not be getting the pressures switch error.Are you actually hearing the solenoid click on gas valve? (Just wondering how you can tell valve opens)

I didn't see him run that, but he said everything was fine. The system just shut down.

try this, Allow inducer to start then bypass the pressure switch by jumping wires to switch together and see if it will run

I am unable to take phone call right now. The offer is site generated automatically. This will be presented to my colleagues so you may get a call from one of them if available.We can continue here to try to solve your problem.

No I can't hear anything. I was referring to the gas valve in the line. I reset and watched the diaphragm pull, the touched the two yellow wires together but still nothing in the fire box. Should I hear a gas valve opening.

Yes as soon as pressure switch closed you should hear a click on gas valve solenoid.Do you have a multi meter for checking continuity and voltage?

Where is the solenoid for the gas located.
There is a brown and blue wire going to a on off switch on top of the gas valve but no wires going to the solenoid. The switch has M1 on the brown wire, P3 has no wire and C2 has a blue wire.

First we should get 24vac between C and P and almost immediately after we should be getting 24vac between C and M)Main valve)

I'm not the best at reading multimeters. I set it on 20 v and it gave me a reading of 3.11 on c2 and m1.
The switch should be in the "on" position correct.

Meter needs to be on next setting above 24 so probably 200 on meter

I did that and it gave me a .30 reading.

point 30?

Sounds like pressure switch is not closing or board is not reading it closed. Check continuity on switch 30 seconds after inducer starts .

I'm sorry it was 3.1 on 200v.

Has to be at least 24vac.Sounds like pressure switch is not closing or board is not reading it closed. Check continuity on switch 30 seconds after inducer starts

Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer