HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

Our home is heated and ac by a 2009 friedrich ptac and it is…

Our home is heated...

Our home is heated and ac by a 2009 friedrich ptac and it is acting up somewhat

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

Definitely not that, more like inconsistent blower motor control not based on what the unit is actually doing

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes if i can it is working perfectly in heat pump mode or heat strip mode

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

The blower motor is free spinning and yet growls and spins for a second or two when really it should be running as the heat strip is on or the heat pump is on. yet at times it seems to be turning on and off correctly as I have used this to heat and cool my house for 8 years. this just started to act up inconsistently in the past couple of weeks.

Answered in 1 hour by:
11/21/2017
Gaztech
Gaztech, HVAC Technician

Hi I am Gaztech1, a independent technician, I will assist you with your issue.

Don't forget to rate the 5 star rating AT THE TOP OF PAGE after we are done. this will credit me for assisting you.

either motor is defective or its just a defective run capacitor, looks something like this picture

Thanks for responding. The blower motor spins freely after being on for a 15 minute period or more slowly coasting to a stop. What does a defective run capacitor control? Are they hard to replace? Cost much? do they fail in an intermittent fashion? thanks Jerome
Is that run capacitor just behind or inside the metal box that is under the digital display control?

you will find the capacitor at the end of the wire coming from motor

it can be tested with a micro farad tester only, When you locate it, take it to a technician for testing cost new $20

Thanks I will look tomorrow when I can as I am not sure I will be able to trace wire easily. I think I saw it under control panel yesterday, about 3 in tall and 1 in dia?

They are easy to replace,

They dont fail intermitently, but they help the motor to run steady,

It looked that way, if that’s it

What do you mean?

It is very inconsistent, blower works in perfect harmony with heat strip letting strip cool or blower kicks off with strip on. In the pump mode , perfect again or at times pump kicking on and blower never starts. Some times the blower growls, just running for a second then turns off for 15 seconds on for 1 then off 15 for a few times. Thanks

You might want to have it checked for amperage reading, and checking fan relay and capacitor. unless you are familiar with and have a multi meter

Thanks I will look tomorrow

ok

I noticed question is still open, rate the 5 star rating AT THE TOP OF PAGE if we are done. this will credit me for assisting you.

I had a tech come out and the capacitor was fine. He had me clean the squirrel cage fins. That was not hard used a small screwdriver and a vac. Didn't seem real bad but there was 8 years of dust on it mixed with moist air. Now it works perfect, all the odd intermittent problems are gone from the heat strip mode and the heat pump mode.

Good job,

Gaztech
Gaztech, HVAC Technician