HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

My Trane TUE080A936K2 furnace isn't heating the ignitor

my Trane TUE080A936K2 furnace isn't...
my Trane TUE080A936K2 furnace isn't heating the ignitor never glows, but the fan spins up
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?
Customer: Just replaced the filter, I think thermostat settings are fine. It's 17 years old--I replaced the flame sensor and ignitor both in the past year thinking they were the problem as it has acted up before
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I have a Nest thermostat gen 3 i believe
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
I did also take the lower panel off and look for any indicator lights while holding the safety button closed (the one that senses the panel is in place). I saw only one LED on the control board, and it was blinking what looked to be 4 times, then a pause, then 4 times, over and over.
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Also, when I just replaced the filter, the old one was pretty dirty. I must have forgotten to replace it on the normal schedule.
11/21/2017
Gaztech
Gaztech, HVAC Technician

Hi I am Gaztech1, a independent technician, I will assist you with your issue.

Don't forget to rate the 5 star rating AT THE TOP OF PAGE after we are done. this will credit me for assisting you.

shut power off to furnace then Pull the small hose of the inducer fan and push/pull air lightly with your mouth to unstuck the pressure switch. it should click when switch goes on/off

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Okay, give me a minute
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Sorry that took a minute, needed a straw to do it. I heard the clicks though

Ok pull hose back and start furnace

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
I did. Ignitor still isn't glowing. I heard clicks, the whirring up, and the fan is running.

Pressure switch is not closing after inducer fan starts( fan just under burners

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Maybe I didn't unstick the pressure switch enough?
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
I tried again and still nothing. What are the next steps? Other ways to clean/clear out the pressure switch, or replacement?

The error code your getting is high limit switch is open (4 blinks)

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Where is the limit switch on this model and what should I be looking for?

Looks like this and is above inducer fan on the furnace wall. held by 2 screws and has 2 wires to it. take the 2 wire off and jump the together then try furnace

http://www.heatingandcoolingwarehouse.com/v/vspfiles/photos/NOR%20626425-2.jpg

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
I have the wires jumped to eachother and it's still not working
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
I used a smaller gauge wire (like thermostat wire) to do the jump though. Smaller gauge. Not sure if that matters. I have some 14 gauge in my garage if you think it would matter
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
I found what I'm pretty sure is what you're talking about. 2 of them, either side of the burner area. No red button. Tried to jump them, still no go.
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
looks like there might be a third under the bottom panel?

OK, I have to punch out, let another tech continiue

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Is the other tech coming now?
BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech

My name is Billy.

There is commonly one in the blower section also...many times this switch is resettable with a tiny button between wires

Have you tested this one?

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Hi Billy, I was just testing that one when you got on. Using a jumper wire to jump that one, I was able to get the ignitor to light up, but it didn't fire the burners.
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
I hadn't gotten the ignitor prior to jumping that one.

Ok,

first can you post a pic of the switch in the blower section for me here?

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Sure, give me a few

standing by

did you use the attach link

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
I clicked add files, yes

Got it.....this one is a auto reset...

are the wires still off the switch and attached directly together

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
they're back on the switch now. Ignitor just illuminated then went back off again, burners not firing, so I'm at least back there.But no, the switch is not currently jumped.
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
bypassed, whichever you prefer.

Thank you....now after the ign glow...was code still 4?

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
I'll have to pull the bottom panel and check the LED. Hold on.

leave door off and tape the pop out switch down for this testing phase

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Haha, I literally just had my wife get me duct tape for the same before reading that.Still code 4.
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
but ignitor not firing now. The switch may be open again?

Thank you.

Now not to be redundant..but we want to remove those 2 and use a U shaped wire to insert into the ends of the wires and loosely tape. then turn on power and tell me if 4 code goes away...if it does not we continue to jump out sensors.

If the code 4 remains with all 4 jumped then we have a bad board.

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Got it. Do I jump them one by one, as in, jump one, if it doesn't fix it put it back and jump the next, or if 1 is bad leave it jumped and jump 2, etc

leave each jumped...until code leaves or last is jumped

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Got it. Give me a few.
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Okay, here's what happened. Jumped them one by one and tested. Still code 4. With all 4 jumped, looked at all connection points. and checked them. Literally the last thing I tried was looking at the wiring harness that connects to the control board. One of the wires from the last switch goes into that. Gave it a push. Code 4 gone, furnace fired up.I think I just have a loose wire in that wiring harness to the control board. Let me know if you think that's a sound theory. If so, I'll power down, give that a closer look, fix the issue, and hook all the switches back up properly and see if she still fires up.

You are very correct....the last thing we check after jumping the switches is the final connection points for the loop.

With all wires attached and back in place...is furnace now operational?

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
That's my next step, was waiting on your response. Let me hook everything back up and get back to you. ETA 5 minutes or so.

standing by

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Well Billy, I learned something and had some fun. Everything hooked back up, and I have heat.
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Anything else you need me to check, or will you just take a 5 star rating and be on your way?

That is excellent news...keep in mind that you have 30 day follow up after rating.

On a side note, my horn in my truck would not work today...got out the manual..located fuses, relays..everything checked ok...finally went to the horn and pressed the connectors tighter...horn worked...

Have agreat holiday

Billy

BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
LOL, same to you, Billy. :-)
BillyHvac
BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech