HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

We have a Comfortmaker furnace Model G9MXE0801716A installed

Customer Question
new in May 2015....
We have a Comfortmaker furnace Model G9MXE0801716A installed new in May 2015. The furnace keeps shutting off intermittently (mostly during the night when the temperature drops) with Error codes 4 and 7. The technician that installed retired. We called another technician. He replaced the mother board. He's saying that if that does not work (which it didn't) that the furnace is not getting too big for our house? We have all vents open and feels like good air flow. Any thoughts?
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?
Customer: We 1st tried taking out air filter and replaced with a new. As far as thermostat - last night was set on 67 degrees and when woke this morning it showed inside temp of 63 and we had LED flashing the error code.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: No. We'll probably call someone - but we were not sure if we should call a different technician since the one who came said he's not familiar with comfortmaker and seems to be grasping for cause.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Also - prior to this problem with shutdown and error codes 4 and 7 - last winter we had called the original installer to the house several times to investigate a burning / "hot" smell coming from furnace a couple of times. This also seemed to only occur during the night. (like 1 or 2 a.m.)
Submitted: 21 days ago.Category: HVAC
11/21/2017
HVAC Technician: airheatman, HVAC Technician replied 21 days ago
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician

The errors refer to an open limit.If you allow furnace to sit idle for awhile, will it come back on without resetting power or anything?

Below is the diagnostic code and possible causes

LIMIT CIRCUIT FAULT – Indicates the limit, flame rollout is open. Blower will run for 4 min. or until open switch remakes whichever is longer. If open longer than 3 min, code changes to lockout #7. If open less than 3 min. status code #4 continues to flash until blower shuts off. Flame rollout switch requires manual reset. Check for: - Loose blower wheel. - Defective switch or connections. - Dirty filter or restricted duct system. - Improper gas input adjustment - Improper limit switch or no limit gasket.

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
It will typically come back on. Manual says it will self reset after some period of time. Seems to be good air flow from all vents. Blower working fine. Do I guess we check the other items.

I would concentrate first on dirty blower wheel or dirty ac coil if you have ac. The fact that it seems to go into limit lockout on colder nights is an indication that when furnace has to run for longer periods at a time the heat exchanger is over heating.

airheatman
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician