HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

My sister has a boiler for heating. When she turns up or…

Customer Question
My sister has a...

My sister has a boiler for heating. When she turns up or down the thermostat a big stink comes. The stink comes at different times. She had a new chimney, sewer vents has lines checked but has not helped. Please help.

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

Where are the filters and she likes warmth.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

No she has a plumber doing all the work.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Started about two years ago. The stink burns your eyes and throat burns.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: HVAC
11/20/2017
HVAC Technician: Rick, HVAC Supervisor replied 7 months ago
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

What you describe sounds like a blocked chimney or heat exchanger. Both should be checked and cleaned if needed. This should be obvious to a decent plumber.

Chimney is clear.

What about the heat exchanger? Has it been cleaned?

Where is it

It basically IS the boiler. It's above the burners. The "body" of the boiler

Everyone says boiler is ok.

Not possible. I don't know who everyone is but they are missing something. You describe classic symptoms (odor, burning eyes and throat) of exhaust getting into the living space. If the chimney is not blocked then the heat exchanger is. I'm assuming you know the difference between a boiler and a furnace

If not clean would the smell come. These are plumbers .

Yes!! maybe not the best plumbers if they didn't check/clean the heat exchanger

we know the difference.
If that isn't the problem ,what is the problem.

That is the ONLY probem that fits your description.

If there is no cold air exchange , could that make a smell.

I don't know what you mean by cold air exchange. If you mean inadequate combustion air then yes that's a likely cause but the unit still needs to be cleaned.

Thankyou

You're welcome