HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

Our furnace is no heating. I just changed the filter. It

our furnace is no heating. JA...
our furnace is no heating.
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?
Customer: I just changed the filter. It doesn't seem to be lighting. The red LED is flashing 1 + 3 which indicates "Flame Sense out of sequence".
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: not sure, depends on how easy it is to get it going.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I turned it off per the instructions, put the temp back up but still not heating.
11/20/2017
Gaztech
Gaztech, HVAC Technician

Hi I am Gaztech1, a independent technician, I will assist you with your issue.

Don't forget to rate the 5 star rating AT THE TOP OF PAGE after we are done. this will credit me for assisting you.

Can you give me the Make and model(inside furnace on side wall sticker)

are you ready?

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
It is a Lennox Elite.
M/N G61MPV-36B-071-10

OK so all you need to do is locate flame sensor, Its mounted in a way to sense the flame at the end of burners. held by one screw and one wire to it, looks something like this( press on link) take it out sand the end clean the put back in.

http://s3.supplyhouse.com/images/products/zoom/9006106205-3.jpg

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
Hello, anyone there?

Do you not see my answer? look again

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
now I saw your answer. Thanks. I'll go look for the sensor.
I assume the furnace has to be powered off prior to doing this, correct?

correct

Look under cumbustion chamber( metal box where burners are)

I am here

Or Your model you will need to remove access door where the round glass widow .of burner compartment to access it

Theres 4 or 6 5/16 screws on the picture

Your last picture is the blower compartment. Not there at all, burner box!! did youi find it?

Yes thats it.

Back of left side is the sensor, and it comes out from under the metal box like I said at first

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
that is really hard to get to. I don't know how I can get to the nut...

show me a clear picture of underside please

That is a tight spot, you could try sanding it if you can stick your hands inside box, or someone with small hands (child) or even glue sand paper on a small stick.

Other than that you could remove white plastic part that joins the fan to exhaust pipe.

screw is 1/4 inch hex driver.

Hello?

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
Yeah, really struggling to get at it.
Taking off the white/yellow tubing could be very difficult to get it back on.
Customer reply replied 20 days ago
I have a work phone call for the next 30min.
Customer reply replied 20 days ago
I was able to sand the sensor rod.
feels clean to touch.

Good job now does furnace work/?

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
Just about to try it.
Customer reply replied 20 days ago
Same thing! Red LED flashing 1 + 3 times, no apparent flame??

That should of worked?

is wire pluged in good to flame sensor?

do you get burner to light up for a few seconds?

Get someone to turn up t-stat while you are looking in the sightglass

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
The wire seems to be plugged in good.
I will have someone turn up temp while I am watching through the window.
Customer reply replied 20 days ago
I pulled the wire off, sanded down the end and put it back on.
I then god someone to dial it up while I watched and no flame.

Did the fan inducer start and Did you see the ignitor glowing orange?

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
The fan comes on, but no glowing orange igniter.
I am not sure if the fan inducer is something different from the fan at the bottom. The fans are definitely on.

The error code your getting is not what furnace is doing??

better get tech in to check it.

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
I will. Thanks for trying.
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** a totally different tech.

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
ok, hello.

The error code you are getting has nothing to do with a dirty flame sensor.Sorry for all the trouble you went through to clean it. The error is stating that there is actually a flame present when it should not be

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
Correct, no flame.

If board is sensing flame but flame never lights, replace the control board.These boards are known for developing stress cracks and giving erratic readings

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
Sounds a bit complicated changing the board.

It is really pretty much plug and play. However the board is pretty expensive .I personally would recommend having an onsite tech verify before spending the money for the board, but 90 per cent of the time, when we get a false flame or flame out of sequence it is going to be the board.

On rare occasions the issue could be something so silly as a loose ground causing erratic behavior but almost always the board

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
I will bring someone in.
I appreciate your comments. I must say a little frustrated that the first technician had it wrong. I could have had someone in this afternoon if I had know it was the board earlier.
Customer reply replied 20 days ago
Do you how much a new board might cost?

My apologies,I have no control over what other technicians tell you and cannot see the question until they opt out.If your issue was with a dirty flame sensor, the error would have been 1+2 (low flame current)

The board runs around 250.

Can you verify if this is your board?https://www.amazon.com/63W27-Lennox-Replacement-Furnace-Control/dp/B00FQHSR8E

airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Customer reply replied 20 days ago
It sure looks like the same board. Thank you for your help. I wish we spoke earlier.
Cheers,
Mark

Thanks again for allowing me to help you.

airheatman
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician