HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I’m trying to troubleshoot my nat gas fireplace. It has shaw…

Customer Question
Hello I’m trying to...

Hello I’m trying to troubleshoot my nat gas fireplace. It has ROBERT shaw 780-845. The elec switch sends the signal and it starts clicking but does not fire flame at all. The pilot is in the on position.

Contractor's Assistant: Just to clarify, what type of fireplace is this?

I don’t know how I would know this I don’t see a plate

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes it’s seems very simple and I’m very handy

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Well last year the problem was That it would start the flame and then the flame would go out intermittently

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: HVAC
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/20/2017
HVAC Technician: Rick, HVAC Supervisor replied 10 months ago
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

Disconnect thpilot tubing at the gas valve then turn the switch on. Do you have gas at that connection?

I have it

There seems to be an issue with your account please contact customer service if you want to talk. We can continue here if you like.

Is the $24 for the call included with the previous payment if I believe $23??? Or on top closer to $50 for a call?

There is an additional charge for the call. I can't say what it is. I'm a user of this site just like you not a site employee. Payment questions should be directed to customer service. That said a minimum service call for an onsite tech these days is well in excess of $100

I already paid you $28

Again, payment issues should be directed to customer service. I'm not allowed to discuss them. We can continue here if you like

continue please ��

Ok, if you have gas at the pilot port then your pilot orifice is probably plugged up and needs to be cleaned.

I have disconnected the pilot line and no gas is coming out.
Are you still there?
I also disconnected the main gas line to verify gas operations and gas line works 5.0 but not the pilot

That's not what you said before. If you have no gas at the pilot tubing port you either have a bad gas valve or a bad controller. What are the wiring terminal desgnations on the gas valve? do you have a multi-meter?

Actually I turned on the wall switch with pilot line disconnected and gas came out on call. So like you said before maybe the lines are clogged up?

Pilot orifice clogged, tubing highly unlikely

I have the tubing completely off now.

You have to remove the pilot burner to clean the orifice. If you can show mw a pic of the pilot burner assembly I can probably tell you where the orifice is

Click on the link below for info on posting pics here

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

My issue now is trying to connect thectubing back on. It keeps cross threading

If you cross threaded the threads in aluminum gas valve body you need a new gas valve.

You need to be very careful with this connection. Cross threading can happen and ruins the valve

I learned lots about this in the navy with airframes I think I got it now. It seems to be pumping gas out.
Honestly it’s on now. But it lights up then kicks off sending the igniter back on then ignites again over and over

Either weak pilot flame or dirty flame sensor. Clen off the electrode(s) in the pilot assembly with fine sandpaper

The main gas seems to be having an issue it lights up but only half way then kicks off then igniter lights up and it fires up half side again then repeats itself

You probably have to clean the burner(s) too

it seems that the burners are just clogged right?

Yes, most likely

Hey man I cleaned the main tube for the flames. Now it fires up entirely but kicks off after 10 or so seconds then reignites. What would cause that?

Did you clean the flame sensor like I advised?

Which art is the flame sensor exactly?

electrode(s) in the pilot assembly

Okay

Could be the ignition electrode (oranage wire) or the other thing to the left od it which I can't see. Fine sandpaper to clean it off.