HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have a question re: our Tappan gas oven. it's a Tappan…

Customer Question
Hello I have a...

Hello I have a question re: our Tappan gas oven

Contractor's Assistant: What's the make and model of your oven? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

Hi Pearl, it's a Tappan Greenbrier, circa 1955

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

It's been working very well but we had to disconnect it for home renovation work, and after reconnecting, the stove burners light, but not the oven. My wife just noticed an "oven reset" button down low

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

We don't know if we need to call a tech or just do something simple with the "reset" button

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: HVAC
11/20/2017
HVAC Technician: HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH replied 5 months ago
HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH

Hello, one minute while I get some information together. Note it takes time to type so please be patient.

Is the ignitor glowing in the oven?

The oven has a pilot light and it is out; there is no gas smell--
The stove pilots are lit and both burner sides for stove are working fine

OK can you remove the bottom plate on the unit, there is no pilot light just an ignitor cna you get to it and see if it is broken? It likely is bad and the issue at hand.

Thank you,
How will it show it is broken? By not glowing?

Turn the oven on, If the glow ignitor is getting voltage it will glow unless it is broken. If is weak, it will glow but it will not pull enough current to open the gas valve. They typically have to draw 3.2-3.6 amps for a square style one or 2.2-2.8 amps for a round style one. If they do not draw enough they will never open the gas valve or take a long long time to open them. The ignitors are pretty easy to change out, just 2 screws and two wires to either plug in or splice together. Here is a video to assist.

CLICK HERE VIDEO

All I ask is please select the 5 STAR rating at the top of your page before leaving otherwise I receive ZERO credit for assisting you. Thanks and you can come back anytime for free followup questions.

HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH