HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

Lets give this a shot. I have a Laars Mini Therm II boiler…

Customer Question
Lets give this a...

Lets give this a shot.

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

I have a Laars Mini Therm II boiler and the pilot won't stay lit. since last night

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Everything tells me it's likely the thermocouple but I can't find clear instructions on how to replace it on this unit.

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat? And what about the unit's filters?

If I can find instructions, yes.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Thermostats work, it's hot water so no filters like on a hot air.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: HVAC
11/20/2017
HVAC Technician: Rick, HVAC Supervisor replied 7 months ago
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

Do you have a pilot that's lit all the time or electronic ignition? does it go out when you're trying to light it or wen you walk away?

Always on. It's a Laars JVT160NDIS mini-therm 2. Last night it would stay on for a few minutes, today it goes off as soon as i switch the gas valve to "on".

Ok, if the pilot stays lit when you release the knob/button but goes out when you turn the dial to ON then you need to replace the gas valve.

My bad, it goes out when i release the red button.
It did stay on and run the boiler for 15 minutes this morning but now it shuts off when i release the button. I just tried to relight it to verify...

Ok, then replace the thermocouple assuming you have a strong pilot flame that's enveloping no more than the top 1/3 of the thermocouple

Pilot is blue and looks good - no yellow. There is crud on the thermocouple so I figured that would be a good place to start but I can't find clear instructions on how to do that on this unit.

Ok, remove the air box (2 screws) that encloses the burners. You might be able to reach in and pull the thermocouple out. If not you have to remove the burner it's attached to. To do that you need disconnect the thermo and pilot tubing at the gas valve then slide the burner forward off the manifold orifice then up and out. When you put the burner back be sure it sits in the slot/notch at the back of the boiler before you slide it back onto the orifice

OK, I'm following. In fact, I got this far on my own. The challenge is that the burner tubes don't come out. Before I start disconnecting things, I did test the thermocouple while holding the pilot button in and it is reading ~30mv. Is there something else that I should be looking at? 15 bucks for a new one is a no-brainer but I will have to drive into town to get one and want to limit the number of trips if i can...

30 mV from the thermo indicates there' nothing wrong with it. So that indicates a bad gas valve. I'd still replace the thermo when replacing a gas valve. If you can't get the burner tube out then you'll have to remove the entire burner tray.