HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

I have a loga max 142-45 the water relief valve started

I have a loga...

I have a loga max 142-45 the water relief valve started leaking water. Replaced the expansion tank and releif valve. Still leaking. now contractor wants to replace the hot water heater. please help with other suggestions

Contractor's Assistant: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?

Since Friday. Water is still dripping from relief valve and pressure stays up to 27psi+. Even when relieving off some water to bring down the pressure to 13 psi. Water is still coming from the relief valve

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

No I have a contractor I am questioning

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

No I have a contractor. They are guesign at this tim

11/20/2017
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

It's common for a relief valve to not seat properly (and leak) after a discharge so replacing the valve is the first step. If the water heater were the cause (I assume you have an indirect fired heater, coil in the tank) you can rule it in or out by shutting off the cold water into the tank then open a faucet (hot only) to dissipate the pressure. If the pressure does not rise (start at 10 to 15 psi) then the tank is the culprit. If it continues to rise and the boiler is off (not firing) then the feed valve that controls water pressure let into the boiler is the likely culprit.

I will try this. If after replacing the boiler relief valve and it still leaks at even 20 psi, does it need to be replaced again?
Also, the water heater is only 8 years old, I had the annode replaced last year and it was not that bad (had a few years left before it really needed to be replaced) so water is good in the area. Very disappointed in Buderus equipment. What would you recommend that with go with this system that is better quality?

SuperStor Ultra (stainless steel tank) is a better tank option. I suspect your gauge is off if a new relief valve starts to leak at 20 psi. I'd verify the actual pressure with a test gauge (you can get one at the bigbox stores) before replacing the relief valve again. You screw the test gauge onto any hose type valve on the sytem then open the valve to read the pressure.

had to replace the water heater so now the relief valve has stopped leaking. What pressure range should the Buderus Logamax142-45 boiler be running at now?

12 to 15 psi when it's cold up to ~25 psi when it's hot.

I'd appreciate a favorable rating. The thread won't go away and I'll answer related follow up questions even after you rate me favorably

Thank you. Since the water heater was installed, when the heat goes on, we hear water rushing through the baseboard when heat is called for. Never heard that before. It's very noisy. Do they usually need to be bled or will it go away?

Yes, part of the job is to purge the air out of the system. If it isn't eventually an air ocket will form and stop the water from circulating. Call your plumber back and tell him to finish the job properly.

Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Rick
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor