HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

I purchese my Rheem 40 Gal water heater in 2016, now it only…

I purchese my Rheem...

I purchese my Rheem 40 Gal water heater in 2016, now it only gives me warm water for a short time then cold. Can it be repaired or do I need a new unit?

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat? And what about the unit's filters?

Yes I increased the temp on the thermostat but don't know anything about the filters! Where are they located?

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I hope so

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Where are the filters?

11/20/2017
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

Most likely cause ia a faulty gas control valve temp sensor. Another possibility is a broken dip tube. The dip tube inside the tank on the cold water line into the tank, carries incoming cold water to the bottom of the tank. If it breaks it will cause the incoming cold to mix with the hot water at the top of the tank. Both can be fixed. The first is a warranty issue a broken dip tube may not be a warranty issue

It is an electric heater! What has a gas control valve have to do with it?

You didn't say you had an electric heater! In that case the upper thermostat is a likely culprit as well as the dip tube.

ok I'll check it . Thanks.

You're welcome

Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Rick
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor