HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I just installed a Lyric T6 pro. I have two heat pumps one…

Customer Question
I just installed a...

I just installed a Lyric T6 pro. I have two heat pumps one for downstairs and one for my upper two floors. The first floor works fine and was installed by a professional. I purchased a second unit for the upstairs and wired it exactly as the first floor unit. The problem is that is that the new unit heats in cooling mode and cools in the heating mode. I know I have wired it identically as the first floor unit as I took a picture of the wiring block and wired the upstairs the same. I thought I configured the thermostat the same. Do you have any idea where I went wrong?

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

Filters have just been changed. It is a brand new unit less than three months old. It is a Ruud Heat pump. There is one setting on the thermostat that I am not sure about and it is the reversing valve. I have it set to reverse on cool. Is that right?

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Well, it is awfully cold on the upper floor so I thought I would try. I can call the professionals who installed the downstairs tomorrow. I have changed many thermostats over the years and have never had a problem before. That is why I did it especially since it was the same thermostat as the downstairs unit. The downstairs unit is a different brand however.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Not that I can think of.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: HVAC
11/19/2017
HVAC Technician: BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech replied 9 months ago
BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech

did you set the menu option 218 for the reversing valve?

but I'm not sure I set it right. I set it to reverse on cooling.

is the heat pump outside a Rheem or Ruud?

It's a Ruud. Brand new

That is the issue then...Rheem and Ruud are the only makes that reverse valve is HEAT. Change that setting in 218 and you are all set.

Billy

Do I need to do a factory reset to do that?

No,

Just go back into the menu and scroll to 218...and change the value.

Great thanks

You have 30 days of follow up after rating service (5 star system) so if any issue return back to this thread.

Billy

Just rate service to close

I see the question is still open...please rate service with the 5 sytar system to close and move off the active list.

Thank you

Billy