HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have a Ducane high efficiency furnace and the draft

Hi I have a...

Hi I have a Ducane high efficiency furnace and the draft inducer fan will not go on. It just hums. I also have no LED light blinking at all.

Contractor's Assistant: Did you check the furnace's filters?

Yes it was dirty and replace it.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Up to a point.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Not that I could think of. You asked about the filter. would a dirty filter cause this?

11/19/2017
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

Please ignore the questions from the intake bot. If the inducer doesn't run nothing else will happen. If you have power to the inducer and it doesn't run then you need a new inducer.

Ok I don't have any testing equipment but could get some. There is a loud hum coming from the inducer motor and you could feel it vibrating. This lasts for 30 seconds or so after the loud click when I turn on the furnace. Then the hum gets quieter and just about goes away.

It sounds like the inducer is getting power but I'd put a meter on the leads to it before replacing it. If it's not gettng power then the board is suspect. But if the power stops after 30 seconds or so you should be getting an open pressure switch or indcer failure error.

What do you mean by error? The LED light?

Yes. One other thing you can try is to disconnect the exhaust where it meets the inducer and check inside the inducer for debris that may be jamming it up

Where would I see the open pressure switch or inducer failure error?

A flashing LED.

I have No LED lights at all. Tried disconnecting the exhaust by the blower and there is no play at all so I can't separate it from the blower. It looks like I'll have to remove the entire blower to do this. However, underneath where the connection is there is a small pile of something maybe dried mineral deposits from an old drip? There's actually 2 piles one white and one tan.

better to cut the pipe and put it back together than remove the fan (you'll need a specialized gasket to put it back). The residue you mention doesn't indicate much except maybe a condensate drip over time

Ok.

Do you have more questions?

Not at the moment. I have to get back to the furnace a little later.

ok

I have 121 volts going to the motor. I took the cover off and am able to turn it freely. I have not cut the vent pipe yet. I'm thinking it's the motor since it is humming so loudly.

121 volts to inducer but it doesn't run = bad motor.

Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Rick
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor